New
Find
Notify
Tools

Federal Fusion bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Anyone know who makes the bullets for these cartridges and if they play on making them available to reloaders? I shot a deer with one this fall and I like the results but I think I could push them a little faster than Federal does. They seem accurate and I had 70 percent weight retention on this 95 grainer out of my 243.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The newer Barnes XXX with the tungsten insert is bascially the same bullet.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6642 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
The newer Barnes XXX with the tungsten insert is bascially the same bullet.

Ummm. No its not.

An Accubond or Interbond would be closer. No fusion bullets available that I know of.

There is nothing that cannot be accomplished with brute force and ignorance

Posts: 145 | Location: Midwest | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Stinkers, Nice flick and excellent weight retention for a Standard Grade bullet.

Federal and Speer are now owned by the same company, so I'd guess Speer makes them by adding a Flux within the Hot-Cor process.

No idea at all if they will be made available as components. Lolo Sporting Goods handles "Over-runs" for Speer and can be reached at (208) 743-1031. That would be a place to see if any at all(any caliber or any weight) are available.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen:
It is Speer's process, the same one they use to make their Gold Dot hand gun bullets.The jacket is actually plated to the core through some sort of electrolysis. It is their own patent and they played hell getting it to work.

Paul K

Take Trophies - Leave Brass

Posts: 755 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 22 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul K is absolutely correct. It is the same process as used on the Gold Dots.

Just came back to correct my post and Paul had beaten me to it.

Remington also Plates the jacket onto some of their Bullets.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I seen a picture of the new Fed bullet in one of the recent rags.....it showed a bullet with 3 or 4 groves made of copper with a tungsten insert. Perhaps I misread the caption

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6642 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Snowwolfe:
I seen a picture of the new Fed bullet in one of the recent rags.....it showed a bullet with 3 or 4 groves made of copper with a tungsten insert. Perhaps I misread the caption

Not Federal, that's the Barnes MR-X, supposed to be available next year. You read to many mags, get em mixed up....like I do!!...but I'm looking at this one right now, it was in the Nov issue of Rifle, will cost about $.75 each as a component.

FWIW, I've shot the .243, .30-30, .270 and .30-06 Fusion ammo, if its terminal performance is as good as its accuracy, it's gonna be a winner for a non-premium bullet. The August issue of Field & Stream(I think!!) called it a deer bullet, but showed elk in the graphic rating, dunno if that was a mistake or not, time will tell.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of johnch
posted Hide Post
I read a gun dealer rag earlyer this year stating they plan on releasing to the reloaders .
After they have filled their needs for loading ammo .
They hinted of a mid to late 06 release .

I am not holding my breath .

Johnch

NRA life
Delta
Pheasants Forever
DU
Hunt as if your life depended on your results

Posts: 591 | Location: NW ,Ohio 10 Min from Ottawa NWR | Registered: 09 January 2005Reply With Quote