THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Touching the lands with marginal seating depth or shorter?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Touching the lands with marginal seating depth or shorter?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I measured my 30gr berger MEFs for my 222 last night and if they touch the lands they are seated .106" into the necks. Would this generaly be considered enough for a FB bullet or should one go to calibre depth?

The rifle will be used magazine fed. I have no accurate means of measuring run out. Best accuracy with other bullets has been on the lands or up to 20 thou off allthough this is, I must admit all I've tried.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
I've spoked with techs at Sierra and at Hornady about the seating depth of small, fast varmint bullets. What got me in the mood to make the calls was the OAL of a factory Hornady Vmax .223 40 grain round. The total OAL was a very short 2.225".

Both factory techs said that deeper seating to increase bearing surface aided accuracy. I've since tested this idea in my own reloads with positive results. A friend has proven this to be a good approach as well in his .223 Remington LTR.

If you're feeding from the magazine, although the recoil is pretty much a non-issue with the .222, I would still feel more comfortable with deeper seated bullets.

What most folks have historically done is they begin with a set distance to the lands, and then manipulate powder charges until a load shoots well. Respectfully to all who use that approach, it is my opinion that that is working backwards. Much like beginning with a given ignition timing in a racing engine and then altering the compression ratio of the pistons until the engine runs right, and then declaring "This engine likes this many degrees of spark advance."

If you do go with the deeper seating (the caliber's depth you mention is a good idea) you will of course need to alter the powder charge you had been using.

An added advantage of the deeper seating I've noticed in my .223 is that maximum charges can be used without loss of accuracy. In most rifles in the .22 caliber centerfire class one needs to back off of the max charge when seating close to the lands to get good accuracy, and of course velocity drops.

I'm certain if you try deep seating you'll be pleasantly shocked at how well your rifle will shoot with such rounds.

A caveat, however... I'm not familiar with the success rate of 30 grain bullets in this chambering. If things don't go to suit you, you may want to try some 40's.

Let us know how things go...

Dan Newberry
green 788

one of us
posted Hide Post
1894: The only way to find out is to try them. I think that a tenth of an inch is probably enough grip on a 30 grain .224 bullet to hold it in place in the magazine, so if they shoot well, use them that way. If not, simply experiment with deeper seating.

I use a 50 grain Speer TNT in my .222 Sako, seated as long as magazine and leade will allow. Don't have any with me at present to measure, but they certainly don't reach very deep into the neck. They have been extraordinary performers for me. Like I say, use what works.

BTW, the effective chamber capacity of a round is largely determined by the volume of the chamber at such point as the bullet engages the lands. Whether the bullet is seated deep or shallow will have no effect on this volume. I doubt that seating deeper or shallower in this instance will have enough effect on pressures to warrant any adjustment of powder charge.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thankyou all. I'm looking forward to trying these once I get my rifle back. I have some fox cubs that are allready taking neighbours hens. 30gr at 3,900fps [Big Grin]

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
That's not much of a seating depth for a magazine fed system. If the runout is imperfect which most of my reloads must be also I don't think being closer to the lands will correct it.

I hear rifles with freebore shoot reasonable groups.

I have been shooting a .300 H&H all year and I tried seating into the lands. Accuracy was the same and then I could only get two rounds into the mag. due to LOA.

As was mentioned here in threads before. If a rifle and it's ammo is perfect then it will shoot almost anything well. If it's not you have to play with it as mentioned by others above.