THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Nosler Partition Versus TSX's (Mainly interested in .338 cal)

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler Partition Versus TSX's (Mainly interested in .338 cal)
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
What are your experiences with these bullets in .338 ??

which expands best ??

Which is the Better all round bullet ??

Which Creates the Biggest Wound Channels ??

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I've shot 100s of 210grNPs from my 338-06 & they have downed dozens of game from deer to elk & African game. They always work & are easy to get good accuracy w/. I gave up on the original 'X' bullet, accuracy was just not there. I bought some TSX recently to try again, but you can never go wrong w/ the Nosler partition. thumb

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
every gun is different I shoot the 210 TSX and 225 TSX and can't get the noslers even close accuracy wise and the TSX kills like thor

Posts: 1396 | Registered: 24 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
I would also say it depends on which cartridge you are loading for. My 338-378 Wby shoots both well but the TSX just a bit better. Anything at a short range for this boomer needs to be VERY tough so the TSXs are what I load. The partition has always been a favorite in my '06 but it also shoots the TSXs very well.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a pre-64 M70 fitted with a Krieger cut rifled barrel in .338 WM. Shoots 225 Barnes Xs with no problem at all. Gets 2" at 300 yards which is plenty good for hunting.

Can't compare the expansion of 250 gr Noslers with the 225 gr Barnes bullets ... have never been able to recovered either. It does appear that the Nosler is a bit softer and opens up sooner ... but both have worked wonderfully well for me.

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
All monometal bullets tend to be somewhat slower in opening. Sometimes there are complete failures to open, but this has become less a problem as the manufacturers gain experience and excercize quality control.

As with any bullet, there are even cases of failures in Nosler Partitions, but the Partition has a reliably quick expanding front section and a reliably deep-penetrating rear section. Failures are so rare as to be essentially non-existant. The Partition is the much more reliable if your game is mixed and you have some light weight, thin skinned game to be take with the same bullet.

The Barnes product is best reserved for rather heavy game.

Both are a little longer than conventional bullets, with the Barnes being the longer of the two. If you have magazine space issues, as with a .300 Winchester in a standard action, then the Nosler would be prefered on account of its slightly shorter length (weight for weight).

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
I've shot 100s of 210grNPs from my 338-06 & they have downed dozens of game from deer to elk & African game. They always work & are easy to get good accuracy w/. I gave up on the original 'X' bullet, accuracy was just not there. I bought some TSX recently to try again, but you can never go wrong w/ the Nosler partition.

I have never shot a game animal or anything else except paper targets with the Barnes X's or any derivation thereof. Just Nosler Partitions. Partitions have proven quite accurate in my guns, in calibers from .243 up to .357, and have proven quite deadly for me on game up to moose & elk, plus they are RELIABLE-they acted the same every time. At least they have for me, starting with the original type, in Alaska in 1964 -----------

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Folks,

I am using a 338/378 Accumark.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shot a large whitetail buck with my 338wm last year with 210 tsx's, very impressive, it didnt even take a step. This year Im trying 160gr TTSX which I am very excited about. Should be able to get 3400fps out of it!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
it has been my experience that barnes bullets really start to shine in calibers over 30 caliber. i have not shot any nosler products out of my 338 lapua. i have shot alot of barnes bullets and they do very, very well out of the rifle. everything from 160 grainers to 250 grainers will turn in fine groups if my nerves are up to holding onto that damn gun long enough for a session. my 7mm mauser and 6.5 swede don't do very well with barnes bullets.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a tikka T3 243win that can shoot 1/2" 5 shot groups with 85gr TSX over varget. I have killed many animals with this gun/bullet combo and have not had any problems.

One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
My 338 likes the 210gr NP outstanding accuracy and performance on elk have yet to recover one on 2 bulls and 2 cows did get one back on a 230lb hog shot facing me bullet lodged on skin at ham real nice mushroom.

Have never tried the TSX in my 338 no reason to.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been shooting the 225 grain Barnes X in 338 WM since the mid/late 90s. They shoot very accurately in both my 338 WMs. I've shot Sitka Blacktails, Caribou, Goat, Moose, and stuck em through 3 brown bears and one grizz. I've not had any expansion or penetration issues at any distance. Once my supply of original X-bullets is exhausted, I'll move over to either the TSX or TTSX bullets.

With regards to the Nosler Partition, I suspect they may make a slightly bigger wound channel (at least initially til the front core is shed) but won't penetrate as deep as the X-bullet. Both the TSX and TTSX have been redesigned for expansion at lower velocity so they should work well.

Back in February on the Weatherby Nation, I participated in a live chat with Randy Brooks of Barnes bullets. I asked him if they were going to produce a 250 grain TTSX. He said not at this time because they were too long to get the kind of performance he wanted. I'm perfectly happy shootin 225 X-bullets for everything here in Alaska and have no reason to switch to the old standby...the Nosler Partition.

Posts: 450 | Location: North Pole, Alaska | Registered: 28 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
They can both be considered the "Cadillac" of bullets, just different colors. Pick one.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good analogy, Doc

Good hunting,
Graham

Posts: 264 | Location: Northern BC, Canada | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
210 Nosler Partitions have worked great for me in my .338 Mag. I push them out of a 26" barrel at 3050 fps and they are devastating on elk. I imagine that the .338/.378 would push them at about 3400. I can't even begin to imagine how great they would work !!!

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote