New
Find
Notify
Tools

powder for 16" 308?
 Login/Join

<Glenn R>
posted
I am in the process of ordering a 16" match upper for my Armalite AR-10. It should be easier to handle than a longer barrel. I expect that all of the powder will not burn with such a short barrel and the muzzel flash will be substantial. Could this be minimized with powder selection? Does anyone know a powder that would work good with this configuration?

Glenn

one of us
posted Hide Post
AA-2230C has worked well for me, I can get about 2650fps with a 150gr, and zero muzzle flash.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Glenn R>
posted
That is good news because I have 8 pounds of that powder.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had great success with Hodgdons Varget. Iam getting about 2630fps with barnes 180g XLC out of a 20" tube and accuracy is pretty good with me shooting...about 1.25"@100yds. I have some much better groups but that is a decent average ranging. I understand that BLC-2 and Win. 748 are also great .308 powders.

Posts: 257 | Location: Long Beach | Registered: 25 June 2002Reply With Quote
<Glenn R>
posted
Varget is my favorite in my 26" FN SPR and 20" AR-10 but there seems to be some muzzle flash in both. It is a very accurate powder in my experience.

I will try the 2230C if that will work well with a 16" tube. It does not fill up the case as much as the Varget and may not be as accurate but I don't want the powder still burning after the bullet has left. It also is half the cost of Varget.