New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading bench: Craftsman vs. Kennedy KenCraft
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Anyone have any recommendations for a bench? I know that there are cheaper ways to go, but I would really like to get a quality, fairly heavy duty bench. I am new to reloading myself, but I have my Rockchucker Supreme Master Kit and am anxious to get started. While the KenCraft seems perfect, some of the Craftsman workbenches are similar and cheaper. The only obvious nod goes to the KenCraft for the solid wood top, as opposed to the MDF of the Craftsmans. Anyone have any experience with either of these benches? Is MDF a strong enough mounting platform for a press and accessories?

Posts: 120 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of muskrat
posted Hide Post
I think the wood top is the way to go. A lot depends on what caliber you will be reloading? How much stress is going to be put on the press and benchtop? My bench top is made out of 2" by 12"'s and I still had 1/4 steel plate 8" by 24" cut for both the top and bottom, which I then drilled and bolted together every 6". not the whole top but just where the press is mounted to prevent flexing of any kind.But I also reload 50 caliber BMG and it takes a lot to hold it still.This may not be needed but I felt better about it, so did it this way.Just MHO
muskrat
live to shoot-shoot to live!

Posts: 287 | Location: central ohio | Registered: 05 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

why not get the craftsman bench and replace the top with some 1" plywood? my reloading platform started out life as a piece of flat counter top. it was made of thick plywood instead of that glitboard crap though. it makes a nice sturdy reloading surface and it has that formica counter surface that is easy to keep clean.

THE 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTS US ALL......

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your opinions, guys...

I will be loading for fairly small calibers of the varmint persuasion (at least at this point)...

.221 Remington Fireball
.223 Remington
.22-250 Remington
.243 Winchester

Posts: 120 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: 13 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Some of the "ready made" work benches are "kinda" adaptable as reloading benches, but most are made to work from the standing position, rather from the sitting position. While I do stand for some operations, most of my work is done sitting. Whatever you build/buy, make sure that it is adaptable to use from a sitting postition.

If you're handy enough to reload, then you're likely handy enough to build your own bench. A 2" dimension lumber top (true 1.5" thickness), perhaps "veneered" with a 1/2 or 3/4" plywood top (and laminate, if you like things fancy), makes a serviceable surface which is fully adequate for any press. DO use several large, thick steel washers of increasing size under the nuts of the bolts for your heavy duty resizing/forming press, just to minimize the compression of the wood. Like one of the previous posters, at one time I had a steel backer plate, and while that sounds extra stout, I found it unnecessary.

There are about as many bench designs as there are reloaders. If you can secure it sturdily to a wall, then that's great. If it is free-standing, you need to make sure that its geometry is such that the pressure you apply on the press handle doesn't try to tip the bench over forward on its face (one of the potential problems with the ready-made work benches).

Good Luck, and have fun!

Posts: 13243 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I found this ad in 'Handloader" magazine. If you're handy, you could build a bench far more sturdy than any store bought one. And customize it to your own needs.

Just another option to think about.

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Buy the Craftsman if you like it & put a piece of solid core door on top, just screw it to the existing top. Very sturdy & affordable.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Scout Master 54
posted Hide Post
The NRMA bench is great if you're handy, its well thought out and designed. Another good low cost alternative is to buy a pre cut work bench from Home Depot. It uses a 2" X 6" top. You can cut down the legs to adjust to your needs. They are very sturdy.

Posts: 332 | Location: Western CT | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm almost embarrassed to admit that while I have considerable investments in equipment, most of my tools have gunsmithing applications. I had seen the advertisement for the NRMA bench and liked the idea, but thought that for the cost of materials and things that I would need to buy in order to make it, I could buy a pre-made one. Hmmm...has anyone else built the NRMA bench from the plans? Are they a reasonable task for a handy person, but a novice woodworker? Thanks again for the replies, they are much appreciated.

one of us
posted Hide Post

STONECREEK HAS A POINT ABOUT HE HEIGHT OF THESE BENCES. I LIKE TO SIT AND RELOAD TOO SO MY RELOADING PLATFORM IS BRACKETED TO THE WALL AT THE RIGHT HIGHTH FOR MY KNEE STOOL. IT'S ONE OF THOSE ONES THEY USED TO HAVE FOR COMPUTER GUYS A FEW YRS AGO. I LIKE THE WAY IT ROLLS AROUND ON IT'S CASTERS AND IT'S REALLY HANDY TO LOAD OFF OF.

THE 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTS US ALL.....