New
Find
Notify
Tools

.243 win twist and loads?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i just got an rem adl .243 win from a friend, whats the twist? i wanting to shoot light bullets from 55 - 70grns, what powder and bullets you guys using? thanks, h.h.

Posts: 161 | Location: hoosierville | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Stick a brush in on a cleaning rod. Put an ink mark on the rod and pull it back one revolution. Measure the distance traveled in inches. Yours may be 1-9. Don't worry about it. Twists of 1-9 or 1-10 are good.

What powders do you have now? Any with burning rates from 3031 thru 4350 work great from light to heavy bullets.

The seating depth for the 55 and 58 gr bullets is 2.6" or less which seems short. Start there.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm not too sure about the 1 in 9" and 1 in 10" being the same. My old Savage 110 is a 1 in 10" twist, and it doesn't shoot most 100gr. bullets all that well. I've noticed that Remington, among others, now makes their .243Win. with a 1 in 9 1/4" twist. There must be a reason for the slight change in twist in the newer rifles. I suspect it's because others have had this same problem. What do you think? Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Cal Sibley

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Rem. got burned big time with the 1-12" and thus the faster 1-9 now.

If the 6mm is to be a long range target then 1-8" is correct. As for myself I view the 6mm's as a varmint and medium range target bore. Thus my endorsement of the 1-10.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i checked and mine has the 1-9 twist. will the 55 -58 bullets shoot in this twist? thanks, h.h.

Posts: 161 | Location: hoosierville | Registered: 02 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Horn Harvester:

The 55 and 58 grain bullets will do just fine. If you were building a rifle to shoot just those bullets, I'd suggest a twist of 1 in 14 or 1 in 12.

Both the Nosler and the Hornady will take the faster twist of 1 in 9, without coming apart. So will the 60 grain Sierra HP, when they are shot at high velocity.

I throttle most of mine down to about 2800 to 3300 fps.

One of my favorite 243 varmint bullets tho is the cheap and accurate 75 grain HP Hornadys.

Cheers and good shooting
seafire

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote