New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: seating
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Not at all familiar with these bullets, so this comment is pretty generic.

Maybe the deburring is insufficient ?
Or the deburring tool is leaving some burrs of its own.
( this sounds stupid at first, but close examination of the brass at 10X magnification will tell you alot of things your nekkid eye just plain misses. )

I have experimented with a Lyman LVD tool lately as a follow up to a standard tool, and found less scuffing of the jacket on pulled bullets.

I also like enough chamfer to let the bullet stand up on it's own after I let go of it. Makes seating much less likely to start crooked to begin with.

Travis F.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Should I pull the bullets that I had problems with or can I shoot these? I ask this as this is new brass and I want to get them fired once?

Thanks again,

Robert

one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
Brush neck out before resizing and use an inside chamfer tool with a longer angle 22 to 30 degree. Had the same problem with the .25-06 and did the quick fix with a Lyman VLD Chamfer. After refining my brass preparation and bullet seating I can load the Barnes with a regular chamfer 45 degree and not shave copper. Apparently I was leaving rough edges on the case and the soft copper bullet was hanging on this if not aligned correctly before seating.

Edit: TBF it looks like we came up with the same conclusion. A quick twist or two of the case mouth on a ball 4x steel wool will help this also.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Robert,

Fire away. The only problem might ( I say might ) be less accuracy than normal. And will not hurt a thing.

Travis F.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gotta go along with the lyman VLD tool, it's simply wonderful.

I don't think a couple of little scratches are going to matter a whole lot once the barrel gets done mashing the rifling grooves into it. The only thing that might matter is if the bullet runouot is so extreme that it enters the bore crooked. maybe

irwin

Posts: 108 | Location: not where I was... | Registered: 09 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just seated a few .308 Barnes Triple Shock bullets and noticed that it looks like my brass shaved part of the barnes bullet as it was seating. What can cause this? I deburred prior to using the brass.

Thanks