THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

150 grain RN 30-30 bullets in an 06 for deer?
 Login/Join

<rsb148>
posted
Got a great deal on some Hornady Interlock
#3035 .30 cal. round nose 150 gr.

Bad idea for deer with an an 06?

Or can I make it work?

Keep the loads real slow or what?

Shot's will be less than 200 yrds . . .

Thanks in advance!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
RN's & Falt points work great !! I load the 180 gr speer RN 30/06 bullet, I am now using RN's in neally every calibre I own.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C. A. Plater
posted Hide Post
I currently use Speer 150 RN in my .308 and load them with 43.0 grains of IMR-3031. I've seen a couple of loading manuals that would say this is over maximum but not in my rifle. The point is they do not have to be loaded down. I've taken 2 whitetails with this load. Both went down very quickly. I'd expect the Hornady to be much the same.

Posts: 181 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 21 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your 150 Rn will work just fine. Just don't push them over 2500 fps, as you will exceed their design.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got some Hornady 150 RN's last year at the closeout table cheap too. I loaded mine to 2700 fps out of my 30-06 but the only testing I got to use them for was paper. I dug some out of my 100 yard backstop and they were relatively intact.

Posts: 2899 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of C. A. Plater
posted Hide Post
I looked up the Hornady 150 RNs and found they are a .30-30 bullet and may not hold together at >2500 fps velocities. You should load them down for the '06. The Sierra and Speer 150 RNs are suitable for full house loads. Sorry for handing out some mis-information. I assumed that the .30-30 grade bullets would be flat points.

Posts: 181 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 21 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I worked up some loads for a 170 FP for my '06 this summer. I see no reason they won't perform well as long as you do not exceed their design parameters. Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have seen bullets designed for the 30-30 explode on a rock chuck at various ranges, so I won't be useing them on deer..The bullet is designed for 2100 max and has a very thin jacket to boot so it will expand at very low velocity...Drive it at 2700 to 3000 and bad things will happen sooner or later..No, not all of them will fail, but some will and thats when you pay the price..If you insist on using them then load them to 30-30 velocity, thats what they were designed for.

Why would anyone risk wounding a deer over a 15 cent bullet is beyond me, that sucks!! [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
<rsb148>
posted
Ray.
Thanks, I didn't want to risk it. That's why I asked . . .

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey rsb148, I agree with the folks that suggest the "Impact Velocity" should be within the parameters of the cartridge that excellent old Bullet was designed for. Just figure the worst case situation (the closest the Point of Impact would occur) and keep the Velocity at or below 2400fps for the Impact.

This is one of those "2-diameter" Hornady Bullets which gives you a couple of advantages.

First off, they are normally very accurate because the portion of the Bullet ahead of the cannelure will be riding atop the Lands which helps center the Bullet in the Bore.

Secondly, the reduced Contact Patch reduces the Friction, so they are "typically" faster with the same amount of Powder than other Manufacturers Bullets. Just bear this in mind as you develop your Load.

With the 2-diameter design, I seriously doubt you will be able to reach the Lands with it. You might want to begin your Test Loads by just Seating to the cannelure and as a final separate step put a small Roll Crimp into it. I don't normally recommend "Crimping" for a 30-06, but this Bullet seems to benefit from the additional Pressure.

As long as you keep this Bullet in the Front portion of a Deer instead of the "Wrong End", it will work just fine. Just think of your 30-06 as now being a 30-30.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote