Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Scales Returning To Zero
 Login/Join

posted
I was wondering if anyone else ever has any trouble getting there scales to hold zero??
For some reason this has just started happening with the RCBS slide scale i use and was wondering if anyone else has this trouble if so what was the cause and how did they fix it??

The scales are on a flat surface so i dont beleave thats an issue. This mainly happens once i zero the scales to start with then i put some powder in the tray say 35gr then remove the brass tray put it back on the scale and there might be 1/10th of a grain variation once the slide bar stops moving. This might be to much or to little when all i simply did was pick the tray up and put it back down.....sometimes the same problem occurs by just tapping the slide bar and making it recentre again.

I have also cleaned out all the dust from the pivot point and that didnt seem to help either.

Any thoughts anyone??

Posts: 18 | Location: Adelaide, South Australia | Registered: 17 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Check for dust in the pivot point V.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bear Claw:
Check for dust in the pivot point V.

Ditto,, I'll almost betcha thats your problem. Another place to look is around the magnet, it may have picked up a piece of debris.

Posts: 268 | Location: God's Country, East Tex. USA | Registered: 08 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whenever I have trouble with my scales, I change the battery.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
And you could also check for dust in the pivot point, that sometimes helps...

Oh! I see that you mention having done that already! My bust [Frown] ... [Big Grin]

I placed my scale on a piece of glass, and I make sure to keep the glass slab clean.

What I think you're going to find is foot movement on the scale. The little adjustable foot that screws in and out has a wobble to it. Each time you touch the scale, this foot wobbles in the threads, and changes the zero just a bit.

After you make a level base for the scale (out of a piece of glass or marble tile, etc.) you can then take a lock nut of the thread size that the adjustment foot uses, zero the scale, and lock the nut down.

Also keep in mind that the farther you screw the foot out, the more wobble room there will be. It may help to place a small glass piece under the foot so that you don't have to go out so far with it...

Another idea: Take a strong rubber band and hook it over the adjustment foot shaft, and wrap the other end around the main body of the scale. This will keep the foot in the same position...

Let us know what you find...

Dan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Make sure you don't have an air vent blowing in the room. Once I upgraded the cooling system in my house to a much quieter unit this nailed me hard on one occasion. I now hang a ribbon from the vent to remind me to close it.

Posts: 896 | Location: Austin,TX USA | Registered: 23 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Another possibility is that your scale pan could be picking up sweat or dirt from your fingers when you lift the pan to dump the powder.

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote