New
Find
Notify
Tools

22-250 ackley improved
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
i just bought a 22-250 ackley improved that i need to start working up a load for. not asking for anyone to go out on a limb and give me a hot load that they don't feel comfortable listing. I'm just looking for a starting point that i can work up from. I would like to be able to shoot RL-15 or varget but if you have a better powder please let me know. thanks for the help.

Posts: 91 | Location: south carolina | Registered: 17 June 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
those powders might be a bit fast for that round. i use IMR 4831 with an 80 gr sierra in mine. normally you can use 220 swift data and reduce to start

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What bullet weight do you want to shoot?

Posts: 42 | Location: Iowa | Registered: 10 April 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use 41gr of varget with a 50gr nosler combined tech bullet. This is in the formed brass.

That is a coated bullet, so might need to back off a bit.

This is in a remington 26" barrel.

If the chamber is cut correctly, the regular 22-250 brass will chamber a bit harder than normal, so to form the brass just loaded up a max load of varget (~37.5 gr with 50 gr bullet) and shoot it.

If you don't feel this resistance, than you will have to seat the bullet out to contact the lands to make sure the brass is sitting tight on the bolt.

Posts: 270 | Location: Cedar Rapids IA | Registered: 02 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Assuming that you owned the gun previously in its regular chamber version, simply start with whatever you were shooting and increase the powder until you have reached the former velocity. From there you can increase as pressure signs indicate. Don't expect more than about 50 fps velocity increase with the same pressures.

If the gun is new to you and you have no previous data, select the loading manual which you have found most dependable and start with the heaviest load listed for your preferred powder for the regular .22-250 chambering. Work from there according to pressure indicators.

Regardless of how and where you start, you will need more powder to achieve the same velocity as the regular chamber, and more powder still to exceed that velocity. Since the .22-250 starts off with a rather large case capacity compared to its bore, keep your expectations of velocity gains modest over the standard chamber at the same pressures.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I used RL15 and IMR4895 with 55gr Noslers.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by P-dog shooter:
What bullet weight do you want to shoot?

I'm wanting to shoot a 53gr. serria match king.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
You did not mention if yours is the 40 or 28 degree variety;moot point but also your twist would help.I can only assume that you are using a bolt gun with a 1/9-1/14 twist which would justify your 53 G. preference.If you are using a 1/6-1/7 then I highly recommend the 80G. Match King.Velocity is lower of course but what is your goal?As to loading data using "superperformance"just call Hornady's ballistician on the 800 # on your powder can. He will give you the data,it's his job,besides they are very helpful + friendly.

Posts: 4394 | Location: Austin,Texas | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Norman Conquest:
You did not mention if yours is the 40 or 28 degree variety;moot point but also your twist would help.I can only assume that you are using a bolt gun with a 1/9-1/14 twist which would justify your 53 G. preference.If you are using a 1/6-1/7 then I highly recommend the 80G. Match King.Velocity is lower of course but what is your goal?As to loading data using "superperformance"just call Hornady's ballistician on the 800 # on your powder can. He will give you the data,it's his job,besides they are very helpful + friendly.

it's the 40 degree. I bought the gun used and i'm not sure of the twist. I've just got a lot of serria matchking 53gr bullets and would like to be able to shoot them.