Find
Notify
Tools

9.3x74R or 9.3X72R questions?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of cold
posted
Ok guys a few (maybe not so quick) questions...IM new to reloading so I hope this isnt going to bore you guys...

First off, if I could have a gun in either caliber, which one of the 2 above mentioned would I want and why? Is there any discrenable pros and cons between the two?

Im currently looking into them but would love input which is on topic and beneficial for discussion (not some post saying "why would you want either...")

Secondly, which would be easier to reload, is brass an issue, dies etc?

Finally, is it a viable DG round or would a more proven round like 375 HH be a better choice etc ( know bigger is a better idea, but IS either 9.3 round even viable)?
I know in Tanzania its illegal but is that so for all of DG in Africa or is the provincial like all other things?

Thanks in advance for any info !

Posts: 221 | Location: SEC | Registered: 15 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
The 9,3x72R is an obsolete and underpowered ctg. (BP ?) that was meant for hunting Roedeer. There's no comparison with the 9,3x74R in terms of power.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
cold
Do a search on my previous posts on the 9,3x74R. I have taken a lot of game with it including some big wild pigs, 2 black bear, African plains game, a giraffe, buffalo and a cow elephant.
As a hunting cartridge I consider it the field equivalent of the 375 H&H.
However as you have stated, all African countries do not. You have to draw the line somewhere.

For buff and elephant I would prefer a 40 cal as a minium.
The buff and the cow were one shot kills, a 286 gr Woodleigh Soft on the buff head on in the chest at @60 yards, bull ran 40 yards and was down and dead when we got to him, and a 286gr Woodleigh Solid on a cow elephant, side brain at a little less than 5 yards. The solid went right through and out the other side.

My 9,3x74R Chapuis double rifle has become my favorite hunting rifle under 40 cal.

To see what one looks like check out the Camp Cooley thread in the double rifle section and you can see one.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cold
posted Hide Post
N E 450 No2

Thanks for the info, I actually checked the Camp Cooley thread after I posted this and read up on the guns present and saw a few in 9,3x74r.

I attend the SHOT SHOW as hunting rep and bit of field tester for on group nd usually there is a fine/classic arms show going on, last Feb it was in the LUXOR I believe, anyways there was alot of nice doubles and drillings, one of which I almost bought. I just want to be sure of few things before I go back to SHOT in Jan nd pull the trigger on one of the guns. Hopefully, despite not being in LV, Nv this year there will be a classic arms show in Orlando.

Thanks again and keep the info coming if anyone has something to add.

One of Us
Picture of Jennerwein
posted Hide Post
In my view 9.3 x 74 R is a widely understimated caliber. Despite the heavy charge it shoots very softly. Ddestruction of meet is very moderate. Accuracy is ok on the distances you commonly engage wild boar and deer. I've shot this caliber from my Luftwaffendrilling (sub MOA) and my Ferlach double rifle for 40 years now and never had a problem. If you hit a deer or wild boar halfway properly, you get it. I've come to like the 9.3 that much (partly by way of the rifles I shoot it from) that I use it almost exclusively now.

Posts: 53 | Location: Marin County, CA | Registered: 07 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jennerwein:
In my view 9.3 x 74 R is a widely understimated caliber. Despite the heavy charge it shoots very softly. Destruction of meet is very moderate.

I'd like to add that you can easily copy the 9.3x72 R performance with the larger round by using Vihta N110 and S&B or RWS 193 grain bullets. I cannot get groups smaller than about 56 mm at 100 m but it is for me the BEST roe deer cartridge I ever used, kills them stone dead on the spot and destroys no meat at all.

Possibly for this reason the 9.3x72 mm R was for decades the most popular cartridge among German Foersters or forest wardens fro their drillings, I am sure it was used to kill millions of roe deer...

I use it in the woods so group size does not really matter.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jennerwien
I would add to you post that ANY game hit good with the 9,3 goes DOWN including BIG stuff like giraffe, cape buff and elephant.

It works great on game like coyote, turkeys, and bobcat as well.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I have a Drilling in 9.3x72R and 16 Ga., the 72 round is fine within it's limitations, it's somewhat less than a 30-30.

Now the 9.3 x 74 is a great round, I'm just waiting for the Ruger No. 1 to be available in it later this year (I hope).

Browningguy
Houston, TX
We Band of 45-70ers

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cold
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the info guys, I really do appriciate it

Im looking at buying a double gun in 9.3x74R and saw some 9.3x72r hence my questions on the differences.

I also have seen some drillings for sale with either caliber as the bottom barrel.

Sounds like I should go with the 9.3x74r should I make my African plans, I can take it along and get some fun out of it there.

What dealers should I be watching for a good Chapuis double?
Also, what is the average (i know thats subjective of course) price I should be seeing for a used Utility grade Chapuis double?

One of Us
Picture of Jennerwein
posted Hide Post
cold,
a double rifle is certainly nothing one buys from the catalogue. If you're not in a rush and you want to go some adventure with it, visit the IWA in Nuernberg next march. Nowhere else you will find a greater presence of the finest gunmakers worldwide. Of course, Chapuis will be there as well. Pricewise be prepared for some 35 grand:

http://www.armureriejeannot.com/lebeau-courally_jeannot.htm

One small consolation, though: If you buy the rifle in the European Union, you will get the VAT reimbursed (some 19 to 20%).

Posts: 53 | Location: Marin County, CA | Registered: 07 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cold
posted Hide Post
Jennerwein

By NO MEANS did I expect to buy one from a catalogue, whatever that was to mean, as one cannot really buy ANY firearm in USA from a catalogue unless its black powder or maybe an old relic of sorts.

That being said, I meant do I look to such places as "Roosevelt and Drake" or "Game Fair" out of Nashville, or "Mad Dog" in Az, "Chaddicks LTD" in Texas. Stores which have premium and best guns was what I was referring to. Nuernberg sure would be fun, to bad I wont be able to make it to purchase and hastle with getting it back into the states, hence my question of any suggestions of where (In the usa) I should keep an eye out for a good Utility Grade Chapuis DR...

Im watching gunbroker and gunsamerica.com intently, but nothing really interests me, Rays Sporting goods in Dallas has a D99 in 9.3x74r/9.3x74r over a 20ga barrel for 4,600...but Id really like to keep to just a DR.