New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 RUM Lovers
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got two questions I need some opinions on before I act.

1. Any of you using a necksizer for your 300RUM cases? I read somewhere that this particular case should be full length resized everytime. How true is this? I would like to use it, but won't bother buying one if it's not recommended.

2. I'm gonna start working with a different bullet. The 180 Nosler Partitions that I'm using seem to lack a bit on accuracy through my gun. Anyone else see this with the Partitions? Anyway, I would like to try the 180 gr Sierra ProHunter or GameKing. Any experiences with these?

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Wayne McD>
posted
Jethro,
Don't know about anybody else but I neck size mine with a Redding Type S bushing neck sizer all the time. Fired them when new then neck sized for 3 more firings. Just starting to get hard to close the bolt, will have to full size next time. If you load them real warm you might have to full size every other firing. Also, my Savage 300 RUM loves the 180 Partition. With 93grs of RL25 seated to 3.630 with a Fed. 215 primer it will put 3 shots at a 100yds into 7/8" to 1 1/8" everytime and 3 1/4" at 300yds, velocity is 3250fps. Hope this helps.
Wayne

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a custom rifle built in 300 RUM,so far only shot it to condition the barrel as I couldnt get the scope mounted.Just got scope mounts for the Talleys now.Anyhow,shooting 180gr Powerpoints into trees,I got about 7 firings on necksized new cases befor things get a little sticky.This is a tight custom chamber and I have no choice but to use neckturned cases but the necksizing c Reddings Stype die seem to work like a charm
sheephunter

Posts: 795 | Location: CA,,the promised land | Registered: 05 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm about where Wayne is with mine too, using the Redding S neck die as well, I have sized them 3 times with the bushing only and chambering is still fine. No reason it should need to be FL sized unless headspace is getting too long as with any other case. Mine have been running about 65-68,000 psi on the Oehler 43 as well.

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just neck size my brass for my 300RUM. I use an RCBS neck sizer.

Posts: 968 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote