Find
Notify
Tools

Help! reloder 22. Ruger #1, 300win mag
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Hi there

I have a new ruger #1 stainless in 300 win and I also have reloder 22 powder. I'm looking at loading 3 bullets with this powder. here is what I think I'll load
75 grains for 200 gr. Nosler Partition
80 grains for 168 gr. Hornady A-max
85 grains for 110 gr. Hornady

I'll work them up but I'm thinking these will be about max loads. Although I've been told that the falling block design is very safe.

Any comments/help

Posts: 78 | Location: Western Canada | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hunting load for my No.1 in .300 Win Mag:

200 gr Partition
Rem 9 1/2M primer
W W Super case
74.5 gr Re 22
2,988 fps

Avg 100 yd group size, last five 3-shot groups - 0.77". Largest group is 1.12", smallest is 0.44".

Primer pockets are still tight after ten firings, but work your way up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the response Norm.

did you stop at 74.5 grains because you saw signs of failure in the brass or were just happy with the target results. I have been told that the ruger #1 is a very safe action so I would like to maximize my charges without being stupid.

Posts: 78 | Location: Western Canada | Registered: 23 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Both. The target results are fine, the velocity is about as high as I need for any big game bullet (I usually pick the highest weight bullet for a given caliber that will get me in the 2,800-3,000 fps range), and stressing the brass further means I'm also stressing the action further. Not that the action couldn't take it, but that load does everything I want it too.

If you get similar velocity and accuracy with your No.1, you have all you need to cleanly take any big game animal on the continent, at any sane distance.

[ 08-17-2003, 21:28: Message edited by: Norm ]