New
Find
Notify
Tools

effect of crimping on pressure levels
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I'm currently preparing a heavy .357 load, and was wondering if anyone could provide any information on the relationship between bullet crimp and pressure levels, especially in this cartridge. I'm using Federal magnum primers, Vihtavuori N150, and 125gr. JHP's. I suppose that this is one of those variables whose depths the average reloader can't plumb, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. (I searched the archives, and no one seemed to address the issue there real specifically.)

Thank you for your assistance; I appreciate the wealth of experience represented here.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Deutschlander:
I'm currently preparing a heavy .357 load, and was wondering if anyone could provide any information on the relationship between bullet crimp and pressure levels, especially in this cartridge. I'm using Federal magnum primers, Vihtavuori N150, and 125gr. JHP's. I suppose that this is one of those variables whose depths the average reloader can't plumb, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask. (I searched the archives, and no one seemed to address the issue there real specifically.)

Thank you for your assistance; I appreciate the wealth of experience represented here.

I can't relly address the pressure level but I seem to get more consistant velocity and burns with a heavy type crimp or tight case when using H110 in my mag cartridges......I try to keep the cases in batchs and test a cly full or two with one shell left in the gun unfired and make sure the shell unfired hasn't let the bullet slip foreward.....If it does I crimp more or polish the expander down according to the type of dies and crimp.....this works with shells up to 454casull and with my semi-max 357's but I work up the load with the firm roll or taper crimp and haven't tried changing the crimp after a max load was reached.....on light target loads I use a lighter crimp to avoid deforming the lead bullets and I have seen point of impact change in very accurate guns if the crimp is changed and always guessed the pressure went up??????but this was with the partial filled cases of target loads..not full power mags....HTH..good luck and good shooting!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Deutschlander, before you load a single round, verify your data. Your powder choice(N150) is a moderately slow rifle powder, not a pistol powder. I'm assuming you intended to use N350, not 150.

A crimp will do the following:
-grip the bullet securely to prevent movement under the forces of recoil
-delay bullet movement caused by the primer impulse
-improve combustion of powder

A crimp can cause pressure problems if it is incorporated after load development -an afterthought as it were. A crimp should be used in all straight walled pistol cases.

However, the amount of force used while crimping should vary. A light crimp is desirable for a target load using wadcutters, a heavier one for hunting loads with slower burning powders.

packrat

[ 06-23-2003, 03:59: Message edited by: packrat ]

Posts: 594 | Location: MT. | Registered: 05 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
packrat:

OOPS! N110 is my powder.

Thanks for your excellent advice. You summarize things extremely well.

[ 06-21-2003, 23:12: Message edited by: Deutschlander ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
N110 is my favorite 357 Mag and 44 Mag Powder when talking hot loads w/ heavy bullets. Also gives the best results with cast bullets,at least in my revolvers.No leading. In fact the hottest ones are cast these days. 158 grain for 357 mag and 255 grain for 44 mag.

Velocity,consistency and accuracy are all there,I tend to overload a bit with a good crimp,the powder is compressed and I use standard primers, not magnum.

Just because I have thousands of them. If I want cowboy loads (wife likes them)I use a faster powder.

Hope it goes good,build it up carefully. I bet your cases will eventually end up quite full. [Big Grin]

EDIT: Almost got out of topic: I use a relatively heavy crimp for everything. It won�t harm light loads either.

[ 07-07-2003, 06:16: Message edited by: Petander ]

Posts: 81 | Location: Finland | Registered: 10 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Petander. My loads probably aren't quite as heavy as yours, due to the magnum primers I'm using(Sierra Bullet Company, which did the testing for my load data, used them; also advised me to use them when I called them).

I really like the powder. In addition to the items you mentioned, it's also a very clean burner. If only Vihtavuori sent more of the stuff over here! I called the stores within an hour and a half's drive, and nobody had it. I ended up calling the importer and complaining about the lack of supply, so they sent me 24lb. direct -and paid the shipping charge.