THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    How many of you can SHOOT 1/2 MOA away from a benchrest? Me either!

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

How many of you can SHOOT 1/2 MOA away from a benchrest? Me either!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted
I do enjoy pursuing 1/2 or better MOA but realize it is perhaps not often needed nor always attainable in the field.

I have a 7/08 BDL varmint (old model) chopped to 21" and in a VLS stock now-only free floated which has shot sub .5 moa groups, and even shot half inch group for 3 shots at 200 yards. It is amazing, but I shy away from it as my 6 and 7 br's are much quieter and pleasant to fire, and as accurate. Approaching middle age must be getting to me!

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NBHunter
posted Hide Post
quote:
1/2 MOA away from a benchrest?

Sure just give me lots of rounds and don't count the "fliers" outside of 1/2" thumb

I did one time shoot a 1.25" 3 shot group offhand and even had whitnesses. No one was more supprised than me.

---------------------------------

It's better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it

Posts: 741 | Location: NB Canada | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You are kidding, right?
Shooting offhand, I can usually keep three shots inside of a #10 washtub@ 100 yards. Assuming a clear day with no wind.

Posts: 367 | Location: WV | Registered: 06 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6.5BR:
I do enjoy pursuing 1/2 or better MOA but realize it is perhaps not often needed nor always attainable in the field.

I have a 7/08 BDL varmint (old model) chopped to 21" and in a VLS stock now-only free floated which has shot sub .5 moa groups, and even shot half inch group for 3 shots at 200 yards. It is amazing, but I shy away from it as my 6 and 7 br's are much quieter and pleasant to fire, and as accurate. Approaching middle age must be getting to me!

Yep that's it it's the age thing sorry to see that probably only have about 50 more years left in ya. thumb

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
Last fall after I finalized my .270 WSM load for an upcoming Wyoming antelope hunt, I decided to practice off the shooting sticks. The first group I shot was .5 MOA !! I almost crapped myself when I walked down and looked at the 100 yard target !! I should mention that this particular Savage shoots in the 2's everytime I take it to the range. I also shot a sub .5 MOA group the same day from the 200 yard bench.

Elite Archery and High Country dealer.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by NBHunter:
...Sure just give me lots of rounds and don't count the "fliers" outside of 1/2" thumb...
Hey NBHunter, Right nice. I can always use a grin. Big Grin
---

Hey 6.5BR, Excellent Thread. I doubt that I can shoot 1/2MOA at 100yds(or beyond) when shooting Off-Hand. But I can get closer kneeling and sitting with a Sling. And shooting Prone can be "nearly" as accurate as a Benchrest when you take the time to get set up properly. But I'm sure I couldn't do 1/2MOA on a consistent basis, even from prone. I know it would simply be a random event "if" a 1/2MOA group did appear for me from Field Positions.

If you are really interested in improving your Field Positions, I can highly recommend shooting at Soda Pop cans at 100yds with a regular old 22LR. I use a Bolt Action Marlin 880SS that I tuned the trigger on, and put a decent Scope and Sling on it.

It is inexpensive to shoot and really helps focus my concentration on my shooting. Gives me something to do while the centerfire barrels are soaking and cooling.

Then once I get a good Load Developed for the centerfire, I use it plinking at the cans from the various Field positions.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well....I can have a little fun with this idea.
I would put it this way....THE GUN WILL STILL SHOOT .5 MOA.....IT'S JUST THAT THE HOLDER (MOST LIKELY) WON'T HAVE THE CROSS HAIRS IN THE RIGHT SPOT WHEN HE PULLS THE TRIGGER!!

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Prone in ideal condidtions I can match the bench. Problem is I have yet to get ideal conditions in the field, and seldom does prone work out on game animals in the field. Maybe you will get lucky on a varmit shoot, but even that takes some fiddling and shifting around and isn't always attainable.

Any other position, all I can say is Yeah Right. Good news is I havn't ever had to shoot a group in the field, and truth is I have only one of my hunting rifles I would even try to shoot 1/2 MOA on the bench. Excellent performance in my hunting rigs is .75 MOA and even 1 MOA ( which is a lot closer to average on my hunting rifles ) is more than enough accuracy for field conditions.

Posts: 1486 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 28 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can do it consistantly offhand at 300 yds - but only for the first shot Big Grin

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
Did it once. but conditions were ideal and eyes a bit younger than they are now. Smiler

The 3" spotter below was placed in my first shot @ 600 yds., prone w/30-06 mod. 70 target rifle, iron sights. Next 14 shots hit the spotter, the 14th shot hit spindle.

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid201/p5d2579d0a...0f8e3f2/f01a9b81.jpg

Regards'
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 931 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
The GREAT thing about an accurate rifle, well is when you are ON you HIT in the field, and you KNOW when you miss, well......its your fault, and the reality check hits!!!

Jay, seriously, I HATE recoil. Wish it were legal for all to own silenced firearms w/o charge AND devices (not sure if possible) to keep recoil down simultaneously.

I believe the blast as well as recoil affect many of us shooters.

22's are definitely a joy and an asset to practice.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6.5BR:

I picked up a 7-08 (rebarreled Ruger #3 - 1-1/4 octagon across flats) about 8 years ago. Slapped a 4x scope on it and went to the range, bore sighted by looking down the bore and lining it up.

My first 5 shot 100 yard group was 3/8" c to c.

Offhand? THAT's another story.

As the expression goes, benchrest proves the rifle, offhand shooting proves the person's skills.

OK, I'm just getting around to loading another batch of bullets for it for it's second trip to the range - I'll use cast this time.

Tim K
(trk)
Cat whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As was mentioned at another place in a previous time, MOA is minute of angle, but more usefull terms are minute-of-beercan and minute-of-woodchuck.

Tim K
(trk)
Cat whisperer
Chief of Smoke, Pulaski Coehorn Works & Winery

Posts: 621 | Location: Virginia mountains | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
One of the local police officers who use our range got a Accuracy Interntional rifle in 308 with a short bipod for prone. I saw him shoot four 5 shot groups at 100 yds and all were well under 1/2" at that range.

A few years ago he was spending the money on lots of guns and we used to notice that he was not doing well. I complimented him on his shooting without comenting on the past.

He said that he had just started shooting only a couple of years ago and had been going to matches now and was doing much better. He had found that some Lapua ammo shot best in that gun. He has a $2000 ammo budget by the way!

All of his scopes are big S&B's, he drives the biggest Suburban and a AI rifle is not cheap. I have to admit that he came a long way in a short time and he can really shoot now.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gee, and here my whole life I have always been happy if I could get three shots into a paper plate at about 75 yards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I can with my eyes closed and on one leg.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of my friends bought a bolt rifle made from Savage in the 70's. It was designed to shoot silouttes with. The rifle was never touched or bedded and it would routinely shoot an inch to an inch at a half at 300 yards. I never seen another rifle that accurate in my life.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Nope, not from a field postition anymore. Just another case of 'the older I get, the better I was', now it's about 2moa from any supported field postition, and about 5 moa offhand, using the sling.
Just another reason to get back to the range and practice.
I can see I'm going to have to burn up a heap of 22lr to get that offhand shooting into tune for the deer season!

Cheers, Dave.

Aut Inveniam Viam aut Faciam.

Posts: 6716 | Location: The Hunting State. | Registered: 08 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HunterJim
posted Hide Post
Since I specialize in one-shot groups, I do this all the time. Wink

jim

if you're too busy to hunt,you're too busy.

Posts: 4166 | Location: San Diego, CA USA | Registered: 14 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I can shoot .330 with my TC Encore in 204 Ruger!

Been done several times!

Chuck - Retired USAF- Life Member, NRA & NAHC

Posts: 454 | Location: Russell (way upstate), NY - USA | Registered: 11 July 2003Reply With Quote