New
Find
Notify
Tools

.300 Wby accubonds VS. Partitions?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I normally shoot 180 grain partitions in my .300 Wby (remington Classic) While at the range yesterday I shot some accubonds through it. Was shooting 1/2 inch groups with the accubonds. Partitions are around an inch. both of them pushed with 84.5 grains of IMR 7828.

Question is? Is the accubond a good bullet for elk? I have always used partitions and like them but if the accubonds are going to shoot that well are they worth the change?

Posts: 37 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 05 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A friend took a bull moose with the 140gr accubond out of his 7mmremmag on thursday.Penetration was very good and the bullet exited.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lightning
posted Hide Post
In my opinion not with a Weatherby. I shoot a 300 Jarrett and these bullets seen to be good when traveling around 2800-2950 max velocity.

I shot a 180 gr Accubond on a dall sheep this year running about 3300 and it fragmented bad. Poor weight rention. Stick with the parition.

I am a accuracy freak myself, but I have come to realize that when hunting animals the size of elk, sub MOA is slightly overrated. That is tough for me to say, but it true. Stick with old faithful.

Posts: 246 | Location: Argyle, TX | Registered: 16 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
no

Posts: 113 | Location: canada | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They're both great bullets and either will get the job done if you put them in the right spot. If you won't be shooting very far and would like to err on the side of toughness you might as well use the Partition since the AccuBond doesn't really offer an advantage.

If longer shots are a possibility, the increased accuracy of the AccuBond starts to become a meaningful advantage. As always, I suggest anybody contemplating longer shots actually set up a target at whatever range you'd decide is your "maximum" or farther and see which bullet gives the best accuracy out where it matters.

But in the end, the overlap of performace of these two is quite large--it's doubtful the elk will be able to tell which you used.

Whichever you choose, I'd suggest trying 200's for the 300 Wby. I just like 200's. Wink

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jorge
posted Hide Post
.5" difference, even at 400 yards is to me insignificant. The problem arises at those shots under 100 yards (where close to 90% of hunting takes place BTW) and bullet failure. The Partition has a near-impeccable record. I'm a big 300 Weatherby user and Partitions have never let me down. jorge

USN (ret)
DRSS Verney-Carron 450NE
Cogswell & Harrison 375 Fl NE
Sabatti Big Five 375 FL Magnum NE
DSC Life Member
NRA Life Member

Posts: 7149 | Location: Orange Park, Florida. USA | Registered: 22 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for the opinions and info. Where I hunt there is a possibility of long shots but I am a believer in getting as close as I can to an animal. Last year is a prime example, I first spotted the elk I ended up shooting at about 350 yards. Was able to move up to 125 and make my shot. So that being said I will go with the majority and my gut feeling and stay with the partitions. Thanks again. Now if Nosler would make a Boattail partition Smiler wouldn't that be nice.

Posts: 37 | Location: Vancouver, WA | Registered: 05 October 2002Reply With Quote