New
Find
Notify
Tools

38-55 Winchester
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Guys, Man, do I need some help. Anybody know who sells 255 gr. Bullets for this cartrage? Also anyone have any reloading data for other weights? 200, 220, 270,and 300.

One of Us
Picture of BigRx
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sed1945:
Hi Guys, Man, do I need some help. Anybody know who sells 255 gr. Bullets for this cartrage? Also anyone have any reloading data for other weights? 200, 220, 270,and 300.

You don't say what your gun is and they vary in this caliber for dimensions as well as strength.. You need to know your barrel groove diameter. Old guns and some of the modern replicas usually run .377" to .379" Guns with a re-barrel in their past sometimes are .375".

Barnes is the only one I know of that makes the old factory 255gr weight. They make it in their original type in .375" and .377" diameter

Hawk makes these as well in .375" flat points from 180gr to 300gr. with a thinner jacket than the Barnes available if you are loading factory load equiv. They may have larger diameters special order....... www.hawkbullets.com and you could find out.

BigRx

Posts: 208 | Location: Idaho Rockies | Registered: 25 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It's a single shot. H & R new manufature. So, I'm guessing it .375/.376

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some in stock.
Very very good bullets, one of my employees uses them in a 38-55 and I use them for light loads in a 375 H&H.

http://www.cliffsgunsmithing.com/Cat_BC375.htm

I might be able to fit up to 4 boxes for the same $7.95 shipping.

-Spencer

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sed1945 _ A shooting buddy has an NEF Buffalo Classic in .38/55. He tried .375-.376 cast bullets and they pretty well rattled down the barrel and shot patterns, not groups. NEF told him he needs to be shooting cast bullets which run .380-381. He did, with a load that gives him about 1,200 fps and the 265 grain bullet. Marty gets sub minute of angle groups with that rifle.

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I called Sierra Bullets and yes, they say the original 38-55 used a .380 dia. Where do I get the cast bullets and what about leading?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
ShopCartRacing are those lead or jacket? how many in a box?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok! I went ahead and ordered two box's of the .380 bullets sure hope their not to big

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just ordered some .379" hard cast 255 grainers from beartooth bullets out of Idaho. I like their stuff in my 32 Winchester special. They are good folks. These bullets have gas checks. Let us know how the rifle shoots.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you very much for your business Sed.

.380" should not be a problem, as lead bullets shoot better if they are a bit oversized.

They are in boxes of 300, not that big so if you browse the site or can think of something you don't see, contact me and I should be able to fit more stuff in the box for the same shipping.

I recommed CF Ventures soft gas checks, as they are a really cool product for lead bullets as they virtually eliminate all lead fouling.

-Spencer