Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6,5 Remington Magnum
 Login/Join

posted
Anybody out there using this cartridge for hunting or target shooting? I'm interessted in experiences about precesion and reloading and of course bullets used in that caliber!

Posts: 15 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I owned one many years ago in a Ruger M77. The only load I used was a 120 grain Sierra loaded to around 3100 fps. Killed one whitetail and one coyote with it before someone wiser than me offered me more than I had paid for it, and like an idiot, I took the money. That rifle would bring at least five times the money today. Frowner

I had no trouble forming brass from 7mm Remington (my dies were actually some .264 Winchester that I cut a half-inch off of the bases -- worked like a charm.)

It is the ballistic twin of the 6.5-06 or 6.5/284.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
stonecreek, thanks for your repley. Viewing the ballistic charts, it seems that the 6,5 RemMag delievers about 8% higher Vo and about 15% more Engergy (Eo). Looking on the ballistic figures, the 6,5 RemMag is more powerful than the newer 6,5-284. My question concerning the Vo is, if that caliber is a "barrel eater" in other words the lifetime of the barrel seems very limited. Do you think it's possibel to recamber a 6,5x55 (Swedish) with an propper action or is a new barrel necessary?

Posts: 15 | Location: Germany | Registered: 24 February 2005Reply With Quote