THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Reminton Core-Lokt or Speer Deep Shock for Whitetail ??

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reminton Core-Lokt or Speer Deep Shock for Whitetail ??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Has anyone tried out the Deep Shock bullets? How Do they perform against the Core-Lokts? [Smile]

Posts: 188 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used the Federal Deep-shok in factory loads this fall, on an elk hunt. No elk, but did fill a doe tag on an average sized doe.
Bullet performance was very good, shot was only 15 yards, bullet seemed to open fast (way faster than I expected) but then expansion slowed and the bullet blew right on through.

Only one animal......but based on the design of the Deep-shok, I think it is a way better bullet than the core-lock....depending on your use. I don't believe it will work any better on deer, the core-lock is also a great bullet. On Moose and elk, I would vote for the Deep-shok.

The Deep-shok is 2x-3x the price of the core-lock, and on deer, I don't believe offers ANY advantages. Deer just aren't hard to kill, don't warrant a Premium bullet, IMHO

[ 02-23-2003, 00:52: Message edited by: Johnny Ringo ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd say Johny has it right about not needing a real tough bullet for deer. I don't think the deep shock is available for reloading yet. I just ordered some speer mag tips. There are alot of people that say they are a poor mans grand slam with a heavier jacket towards the bottom. They probably cost $2.00 more/box than your average run of the mill hornady. Plus they are a little bit more stubby--they'll take us less case room in my .308 and in my clip they'll get me real close to the rifling in my barrel.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Graf has the Deep Shok bullets if anyone is interested: http://www.grafs.com/shopVendorCategories.cfm?vendorID=104

Posts: 184 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 November 2000Reply With Quote
<JimF>
posted
Kraky:

The mag tip is a really good choice. I've used them in a 7-08 with short mag box with complete satisfaction. IMO it's a better cup jacketed bullet than the average Speer/Horn/Sierra. It lacks a little in shelf appeal due to no sharp tip or boattail but out to 300 yds. who cares?

JimF

one of us
posted Hide Post
For Deer, it matters not what you shoot. The Core Lokts will do just fine. But for longer ranges the Deep Shok would be my choice.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote