New
Find
Notify
Tools

Shipping Powder
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
What is the best method for shipping powder within the US. Does USPS ship Powder?
bigbull

Posts: 401 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
No, powder, primers and ammo are prohibited from mailing by the USPS, they're considered nonmailable explosives.

quote:
341.21 Nonmailable Explosives
Nonmailable explosives found in the mailstream must be immediately reported in accordance with POM 139.117.

Nonmailable explosives include, but are not limited to, the following:

a. Common Fireworks. Fireworks are classified as Division 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, or 1.4 explosives depending on the degree of hazard. Fireworks include roman candles, skyrockets, helicopter-type rockets, cylindrical and cone fountains, pyrotechnic wheels, illuminating torches, firecrackers, salutes, and combinations of items that are designed to produce any of the aforementioned types of effects. All types of fireworks are prohibited from mailing.

b. Fuses. Fuses are classified as Division 1.3 or 1.4 explosives depending on the degree of hazard. All types of fuses (except safety fuses as permitted under 341.22) are prohibited from mailing.

c. Small Arms Ammunition. Ammunition is classified as a Division 1.1, 1.2, 1.3, or 1.4 explosive, depending on the degree of hazard. Ammunition that is regulated as a Class 1 explosive and designed to be fired from a pistol, revolver, rifle, or shotgun, as well as associated primers and blank cartridges (including those designed for tools) and propellant powder for use in any firearm, is prohibited from mailing.

http://pe.usps.gov/text/pub52/pub52c3_004.html#vnameref_1

Limited quantities can be shipped UPS.

http://www.ups.com/content/us/en/resources/prepare/hazardous/variations.html

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks wrongtarget.
bigbull

Posts: 401 | Location: CANADA | Registered: 06 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
1) Powder can only be shipped via ground
2) UPS and FedEx charge $20 hazmat. DHL charges $25. There are a few shortline carriers who transport powder also.
3) USPS will not transport powder
4) Order a large enough quantity and it can go motor freight
5) DOT limits any one vehicle to transporting a maximum of 100 lbs of powder.
6) You must be a licensed hazmat company with a contract with transportation companies to ship powder. Individuals can not legally ship powder unless they have a contract and license.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you looking to ship powder personally? Even if you can, which Soonerhawk doesn't think you can, then the hazmat fees for a small quantity will eat you up. It would likely be cheaper for the receiver to buy locally. Even the local gunshop where I trade has to order 30 pounds at a time to make enough money to justify the time and expense and he's selling for $25 a pound!

If you are talking about ordering for yourself, UPS or FEDEX or DHL are virtually required and then you need to purchase a large quantity to offset the hazmat fees and shipping. Generally, I won't order powder unless I'm getting 4 or more pounds at a time.

Regards,

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From my experience it is best if several friends go in together and purchase a 50 Lb. One fee Haz Mat load . Primers powder can be sent same container or box .

Or if your a volume user or like different powders and primers . Purchase the Max allowed , that way shipping handling Haz Mat fee off sets total cost reasonably well !.

I'm not sure of current regulations pertaining to " Private Explosives Transport " !. Used to be an 8 lb. keg was MAX !. Primers had to be separated in a vehicle such as back seat and trunk or glove box trunk !. Something like that .

Many moons ago I used to transport class A Explosives , which is a whole different ball game . 40K lb. commercially with detonators having to be transported in a separate unit or vehicle !. We weren't allowed to use certain routes and had to use " tee times " so to speak .

Shoot straight Know your target !. ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
One of the catches....many require hazmat like powder to come from a "known shipper". That means that I can get powder shipped to me by them from a known powder shipper like Midway, but can't then ship powder from me to someone else. (Or from me in AZ to my home in AK.) This has stranded large quantities of slow powder in AZ that I can't quite bear to part with....

thumbdown

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Dunno if this is applicable, but I shipped a bottle of bad powder to Hodgdon with their call label they sent me. No questions asked at UPS.

Posts: 1615 | Location: Washington State | Registered: 27 May 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Check with UPS or Shipper of choice ??. I don't think there is a problem with shipping " YOUR " stuff to your self !. Might be a problem shipping someone else's or your powder to someone else !!.

I think as long as it's declared to be Powder or primers and Haz mat is paid I see no problem ,

Of course on the other hand she wore a glove and I don't see as well as I used to . Ha Ha ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote