Find
Notify
Tools

Matchking Hunting...
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Croberts
posted
I know this is a sore subject for some, and I have no intentions of getting thngs stirred up. But I was wondering of you guys who shoot game, say a whitetail with the matchking or suposedly non expanding bullets, where do you place your shots?
Do you go for normal behnd the foreleg shots, neck, heavy bone or does it matter to you. Thanks

A man should never stop learning, so a man should never stop asking questions

Posts: 164 | Location: Abingdon Va. | Registered: 09 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
Try posting the same question over on Long Range Hunting, there is alot of Match King hunters on that board.

Since you're talking deer, a hit to the vitals w/ might near any bullet will kill them. Some may kill quicker than others but, they are not hard to kill at all. I've seen guys shoot slap through whitetails w/ 22-250s and light fast bullets. Not saying I'd do it but, it just proves they are a easily penetrable target. The thing that would worry me w/ a Match King would not be the explosiveness, it would be the worry of the bullet not opening at all which would be just like shooting them w/ a FMJ and it needs to be in the Heart/lungs or spine IMO. If you go for the high front of the shoulder shot you can kill them instantly w/ just about an projectile from solid brass to pure lead.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Ive shot many deer with the match kings and have never had a problem. I would try to make sure to get behind the leg if you go for a lung/heart shot. The main reason I started doing that is cuz they shoot well enough to make neck shots, only when I'm meat hunting. If I'm chasing big ole snorty buck I'd stick to the better built bullets for killing, not punching pretty little holes in paper. Sometimes you just dont have time to make that perfect shot. I have had great luck with b-tips on deer. Good luck.

Posts: 13 | Location: north of Dallas, Texas | Registered: 23 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I use the Sierra HPBT bullets in everything they are available for. Never had any problems with them.

When I was younger and the eyesight better and the game not as spooky, I did head shots.

Now that I am older, and the reflexes not as fast, and the game extremely cautious, I go for the heart/lung area.

I do not shoot at anything that is only showing it's butt to me.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Jay Gorski
posted Hide Post
Let my brother-in-law borrow my 223 700 VS to shoot pDogs out in Wyoming. So I loads up 150 53gr. MKs, 24.5grs. BM, Rem. nickel brass, WSR primer, if you must know, knowing that it's not a Varmint bullet, but I knew it would have no problem puttin down the mighty PDog of Wyoming.
When he dropped the rifle off Sunday, I got the rest of the story.
Dale was telling me about shooting these praire dogs, and how funny it was stalking and shooting the little buggers, something he's never done before. Then he told me he shot his Antelope with the rifle, really I retorted. How'd that work out? I asked. Not to bad, and commenced to telling me the story how he got it.
He saw the lope out there about 350yds.(laser measure I imagine) aimed somewhere, can't remember exactly, on the body, took the first shot, saw some dirt kick up a few feet away, what the hack, I missed he thought. On that shot the lope ran off a bit, stopped and gave him a nice broadside shot, again still at 350yds., this time he put the fine crosshairs of the Burris 6x-24x Signature high on the shoulder, bang! same thing, saw some dirt kick up a few feet away, while Son Collin was watching through the binos, and Dale through the scope, Collin yells out, you got him, and the Antelope promtly tips over, DEAD. When we skinned it out, the bullet made the normal entry hole, and about the size of a dollar on the oft side, I asked if there was any bullet splatter indicating "fragmentation", no, just a nice hole, through and through, took the top of the heart off. And my VS finally gets it's first Antelope and numerous PDogs, with the vaunted MK. Jay

Posted 18 October 2005 00:38

Posts: 1745 | Location: WI. | Registered: 19 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
Check the Humor forum. sofa

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Oh no not again. nut

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote