Find
Notify
Tools

What powder Measures are you using?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Crimp_me
posted
This Lee powder measure is driving me crazy and I am done with it. What brands are you guys using. I had my mind set on replacing it with a Redding.

Posts: 83 | Location: Lapeer, MI | Registered: 19 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mike_elmer
posted Hide Post
I'm using the Lee Perfect, but I only use it to get close while weighing and trickling the last few tenths of a grain for each load in my rifle cartridges.

For pistol cartridges, I just use the Lee after I have it metering properly, and it works pretty well with the powders I use (Alliant: Unique or Blue Dot).

Have you tried adjusting the pressure on the "blade" inside the Lee Perfect? Sometimes it needs to be adjusted as the blade wears from use. I believe the blade can be replaced if needed, but you may have to order the new blade from Lee.

Posts: 8421 | Location: adamstown, pa | Registered: 16 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am using the plain old Lee Dippers! How is that for being back in the 1950s?

I gave up on all of those fancy measure things. I prefer the 505 scale and the Lee powder measurers.

Works for me

cheers and good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
lyman 55, only way to go

jeffe

Posts: 39559 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've been using the same RCBS powder measure for 35yrs.No problems,and if there are,they take care of it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use an old RCBS Uniflow. Very accurate with most powders, including Unique. That surprised me, because Unique is a large flake powder, and I thought they wouldn't meter very well. But the Uniflow handles it nicely.

Posts: 132 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire's right: For coarse, extruded powders such as IMR 4350 and the even chunkier IMR 5010, the Lee dippers work quite well. While the Lee "Perfect" measure is good, it doesn't quite live up to its name. For most of my reloading, I throw powder into my scale pan with a Lyman #55, occasionally the Forster BR measure or an old Ohaus Duo-Measure. For pistol powders, I use a Lyman measure with rotors or a Lee Auto Disk after first having established the charge weight of a given cavity & powder by throwing ~30 charges (three sets of ten charges) into my scale pan.

Posts: 480 | Location: N.Y. | Registered: 09 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I really never liked the Lyman design as it has a wide plate that cuts off all at once. This may mean that more powder could be cut.

The Saeco that I have used for a long time has a round hole about an inch in diameter. This seems to cut less or no powder. There may be better measures now and I would listen to others.

I weigh rifle loads after measuring them.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have the Hornady, it works fine.
I could never get my Lee Perfect to throw consistant either.

Posts: 97 | Location: Northern Lower Mich | Registered: 01 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I got one of thosse Frankfort Arsenal powder measures from Midway and it is very good. It is extremely accurate, and permits very fine adjustments. It is easy to use because it has this set screw that lets you "unmount" the entire measure to empty it. It came with a whole bunch of plastic built to fit spouts for various case diameters, a drop tube and a stand for mounting on a table top and another for mounting on the side of something. All this for about half the price of the competition. Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
Spend the $$$ and purchase the Harrell> It is of the "Culver Type" and is proven and reliable. I have two Culver conveted Lymans that I have been useing for more than 30 years. You can't wear them out

Posts: 160 | Location: Maryland | Registered: 11 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a Lyman, had it for yrs, it works, probably not the best, but I weigh every round, I'm just a rifle shooter so it works fine for me.

Posts: 1868 | Location: League City, Texas | Registered: 11 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Good old Lyman 55...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was using an RCBS Uniflow, but recently came upon a used Redding BR. No comparison, the RCBS has been retired.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm the third owner of a Lyman Ideal 55 that might even be older than I am. No problems. When using "long stick powders", I'll use the big drum set short, rather than the thinner parts of the drum set at a longer distance.

Posts: 31 | Location: North Dakota, US | Registered: 03 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RSY
posted Hide Post
I use a good old Redding Model 3. It's never failed me.

RSY

Posts: 785 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 01 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Redding BR3
Added all the Sinclair stuff, works well with most powders.
Freakishly accurate with the small stuff.

I picked up a Lee just this week to see if it works any better with the H4350. ( I am using alot of H4350 lately )
I hear that the Lee is actually the hot ticket for the large grained powders, and will have to test this for myself.

Travis F.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Redding BR3.

Don't know if is me, but I seem to wear out my measures (1xHornady and 1xRedding). Eventually the measuring chamber gets loose, and they don't seem to hold setting as well as when they are new. I'm still debating whether to send back the Redding under their lifetime warrantee??

My Reddings have been a LOT better than my original Hornady - cost a lot more too, even though not as expensive as the Harrells.
- mike

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
lee cups and rcbs 10-10.. had a rcbs 5-0-5 but the 10-10 is worth the difference

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Quote:

This Lee powder measure is driving me crazy and I am done with it. What brands are you guys using. I had my mind set on replacing it with a Redding.

I use the Lee Auto Disk Powder Measures and never had a problem with mine. I own 7 of them that I keep mounted on my Lee dies that stay permanently mounted on my extra Lee 4 Hole Turret Plates. Plus I use the Lee adjustable slide bar in the measure instead of the disk that doesn't require changing any disks to make a weight change in a powder charge. You only have to turn the large brass thumb screw. I can change from loading one caliber of ammo to another one in less than 30 seconds because my dies stay adjusted on the turret plates also. The turret plates can be changed out of the press without using any tools which makes it great for someone that shoots a lot of different cablers of ammo and don't want to spend a lot of time making adjustments on die change outs on progressive presses or single stage presses.
One of the main things that might be giving you a problem and that goes for any auto powder measure is the type powder you use. Some powders just don't measure and will bridge. I find that all the Hogdgon Powders measure just fine. I simplified my reloading to where I only use Hodgdon HP-38 for target shooting in pistol, H-110 for Magnum loads and H-4350 for Rifle loads and last I use American Pioneer Powder for my Black Powder sub loads which the FFg measures just fine in Lee Auto Disk Measure also.

Posts: 15 | Location: Atlanta, GA | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used an RCBS uniflow flow for 20 years until I got a Harrells. I gave the uniflow to a friend.

I use a Lyman for my Black Powder Cartridge reloading.

I am interested in a new measure called 'Quick Measure'.
I have never seen one but would like to know if any of you have used one and like it.
http://www.quick-measure.com/index.htm

Posts: 1147 | Location: Ohio USA | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of reloaderman
posted Hide Post
I'm using a Lyman 55 for my serious match ammo loading, I've got it set for 28 grs of BLC2 and I haven't changed the setting in about 2 yrs! Everytime I use it I check the weight on a scale and it's "right on"! I have a LEE disk measure that I use for loading pistol ammo and it works O.K. as far as throwing the the same weight each time, but it's a PITA to get it set up. I can't hit the side of a barn with the pistol, but I'm still happy with my set-up..

Posts: 707 | Location: West Texas,USA | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RobertD
posted Hide Post
I used to use a RCBS Uniflow for years. Worked great, never had a problem. I eventually sold it so I could get a Hornady LNL measure since I am reloading for a lot of calibers now. That works great too. I use Dillon measures on for the Dillon press, I have five of them right now that are preset and one that is a floater. Overall, I have had extremely good luck with mechanical measures.

I did have a RCBS (PACT) automeasure along with the scale. I eventually sold it, not because it didn't work well, but simply because it was so dang slow. I understand they have a new firmware upgrade that speeds things up substantially, so that might be an option for you to consider.

RobertD

Posts: 269 | Location: East Bay, CA | Registered: 11 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm sorrs to see nobody mentions the B&M measure although the firm is back in action.

I use an old one (with brass container) quite often, and it's extremely accurate with N3xx.
What I do not like is the handle separating very often from the transport beam. This could be changed with little effort, but I am a bit hesitant with this vintage device.

Most of my loads are thrown with the Bruno measure which is extremely accurate as well and very convenient to click adjust to different needs.

What I found the most important factor on powder throwing (I spent a lot of time with experimenting and scribbling/calculating data for about eight different throwers)is the performance of the operator.
Generally, a consistent operation of the measure yields small charge variations, no matter which brand or price of the measure.

Posts: 367 | Location: former western part of Berlin, Germany | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of mbogo375
posted Hide Post
I currently have RCBS Uniflow, Lee Perfect, Lee Autodisk, an old CH rotary type, CH slide bar type, Lyman 55, and Lyman 1200 DPS electronic.

If time is not critical I like the Lyman 1200 DPS. For pistol I sometimes use the RCBS with small cylinder rotor. Occassionally I use the Lee for long grain powders, but it doesn't do a much better job than the others. All that said, I use the Lyman 55 probably 80% of the time and find myself reaching for it anytime I am doing a large batch of rifle ammo (although recently I have been doing more and more with the Lyman 1200 after throwing to within a few tenths with the Lyman 55).

Jim

Posts: 1206 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 21 July 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lyman 55, Redding 3 BR, Dillon, Lyman 1200 DPS. All work well. Bill T.

Posts: 1540 | Location: Glendale, Arizona | Registered: 27 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am using the new Lyman electronic powder measure. I have numerous powder measured costing $30.00 ti $300.00. The Lyman beats them all.

Posts: 2608 | Location: Moore, Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote