Find
Notify
Tools

Forming 6.5 Grendel from 7.62x39 brass?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted
Is it practical to make 6.5 Grendel cases formed from 7.62x39 brass?

I'm just wondering how difficult this is to do. It may be worth it, if not difficult, especially since I have a bunch of the 7.62x39 brass.

Thanks,
KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornShouldn't be difficult. Many of my 22PPC cases are made from 7.62x39 cases. With good brass and dies it may be a one shot size operation. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pretty simple, run the x39 brass through the Grendel FL sizing die. Load and shoot either with bullet or the "Cream of Wheat" method to fire-form.

If you do decide to do this, understand the x39 brass converted to Grendel has significantly less case capacity than true Grendel brass and you must adjust your loads accordingly.

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Once at a Gunshow; I saw where a Dealer was selling .401 WSL made from 7.62 X 39 m/m cases.

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You end up with a donut at the base of the neck, but other then that it isn't hard to do at all. The load data is different for 7.62 brass mainly because of the large primer..

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SmokinJ:
You end up with a donut at the base of the neck, but other then that it isn't hard to do at all. The load data is different for 7.62 brass mainly because of the large primer..

Roll EyesI'm sure the larger primer can be a concern but in the .22PPC I've yet to realize it. Perhaps Alf can help us out here, popcornroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote