THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can 19 Badger be formed with just a sizer die?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Can the brass be formed with just a 19 Badger sizer die and some 30 carbine brass, or is a form die needed?
TIA

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Clark,

are you working on a new project for spring sage rats?

if so, what action are you doing this on?? a number one Ruger or something a little more run of the mill?

Life Member: The American Vast Right Wing Conspiracy

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Duhboy....Nuttier than Squirrel Poop...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yes, rodents must die.

Another forum answered my question.
quote:
~Form dies are needed and the only known form dies are at Calhoon.
You buy the brass from Calhoon. ~

I just sent some old guy a check for his Calhoon rifle in 19B.

Not much of a project for me, putting overpriced CZ rings on a gun someone else built.

I am going to cut up some 7/8-14 threaded rod [the threads of sizer dies], fake some form dies, and see if I can't turn 6 cents surplus 30 carbine brass into 30 cent 19 Badger brass.

I hate being a simple consumer. There must always be some way to throw away engineering hours on any endeavorSmiler

Maybe there is a way to drill and tap the rifle and put cheap Weaver mounts on it?

One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
quote:
Maybe there is a way to drill and tap the rifle and put cheap Weaver mounts on it?

Now you've entered the world of my rationale!!!

or you can just use Millet Rings... like the rings for 22 Rifles with grooved receivers, work great on a Ruger 77s for rings..

Jan 20, 2009.. Prisoner in Dumocrat 'Occupied America', Partisan in the 'Save America' Underground

Beavis..... James Beavis..... Of Her Majesty's Secret Service..... Spell Check Division

"Posterity — you will never know how much it has cost my generation to preserve your freedom. I hope you will make good use of it."
John Quincy Adams

A reporter did a human-interest piece on the Texas Rangers. The reporter recognized the Colt Model 1911 the Ranger was carrying and asked him "Why do you carry a 45?" The Ranger responded, "Because they don't make a 46."

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Clark,
couldn't a 221 or 222 die set be reworked?

I mean, you have that lathe and all.....

Didn't Parker Ackley's book number one talk about making reloading dies.....

or these folks over here in Central Point/White City.. Pacific Tool and Die....

John Quincy Adams

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The .223 shoulder is 23 degrees, .358" wide, and way up in there so far the .223 die would have to be shortened.
I have already ground up enough .223 dies for experiments.

I want a 30 degree shoulder, .336" wide, and less than an inch from the die base.

I have 60 degree spotting drills.

They produce two 30 degree shoulders.

I can grind one to .336" in diameter.

I make a bunch of identical dies from 7/8-14 threaded rod.

Then with a boring bar I can give each one a different sized neck.

The light at the end of the tunnel for the CZ527 16mm dovetail two square bridges is still dimmer.