Find
Notify
Tools

Barrel length for 7x57?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of befus
posted
Just picked up in a pawn shop a military 1895 Chileno Mauser made by Ludwig Loewe in Berlin. As with all pre-war Mausers the quality is excellent and would compare with the finest custom rifles made today. Sadly(from a collectors viewpoint) this one had been partially sporterized with the stock chopped, bolt turned down and drilled and tapped with 3x9 scope.

For $100 OTD it was too good to pass up. I had a Bell and Carson stock waiting at home and, after knocking off the military sights and fitting it to the stock, shot it this weekend to see how it did. Well enough I would say with less than 1 inch groups at 75 yards with cheap Privi Partizan ammo.

Now I will finish the project which will give me all the military Mauser calibers (6.5, 7, 7.65. & 8mm). The military barrel is at the original 29 inch length. What would be the best length to get it cut and crowned to for all round use? TIA.

Posts: 241 | Location: Beautiful NW Arkansas | Registered: 27 October 2003Reply With Quote
<JOHAN>
posted
Gentlemen

My preference would be 24-25 inches.

Cheers
/ JOHAN

one of us
Picture of browningguy
posted Hide Post
I've got a 24" barrel on my 7x57 and like it a lot. I've got other, shorter barreled rifles for deep woods use.

Posts: 1242 | Location: Houston, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a 23.5 inch barrel on my CZ 550 American in 7x57mm. My brother has 20.5 inches on his CZ 550 Full Stock in 7x57mm. We both love the caliber. My handloads push a 162 gr. Hornady SST out of the tube at 2,835 fps and if I let it cool between shots. it'll group three shots into a half-inch circle off of a sandbag rest. My brother's 7x57 pushes 160 grain Nosler Partition along at 2,745 fps and groups them into .75 inches at 100 yards. You gotta love the 7x57mm. Tom Purdom

Posts: 499 | Location: Eudora, Ks. | Registered: 15 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Congrats on your find befus. I like a 22" barrel for the 7X57.-JDL

Posts: 61 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The military usually made both rifle and carbine [for cavalry] versions of the guns.Typically 6" difference between the two.We finally got smart with the 1903.Originally they designed a 30" rifle and 24" carbine but they dropped the rifle. To answer your question directly , 22-24" barrel would be the best length for all around use for a 7x57.