Find
Notify
Tools

.30'06 to 8x60mm Fireformed Cases (pix)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted
It was cold today (-8 F), so I didn't want to do more than pop off a few shells. These were loaded with 53 grains RL-25 and WLRM primers. These were fired in my 1937 S/42 (Oberndorf), 8x60S rifle.

Parent case in the middle is the .30'06 with a Hornady 220 grainer. I put a couple drops of Marvel Mystery Oil (nice lubricant), on a small square of paper towel and lightly oiled the cases prior to firing. If you look very closely you can see a smudge on the bullet, just above the cannelure, in the center. This is the mark left by the rifling. I checked each of my cartridges by trying to close the bolt. I wanted the bullet driven into the rifling to hold the case tight against the bolt face.

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post

Nitroman, these are three 8X60RS cartridges loaded in reformed RWS 7X65R cases. The cases are trimmed from 65 to 60mm, run through an RCBS 8X60S FL sizing die, then loaded. This load is the 200-grain Nosler Partition bullet with 58.5 grains of RE 22. MV is 2450 FPS, and these shoot "to regulation" from my old J.P. Sauer SXS double, Leupold 1X-4X scope, that was originally regulated for the 198-grain factory 8X60RS load. I have also recently loaded a batch with the Nosler 200-grain Accubond, but have not shot any yet to see if they will shoot as well as the Partitions.

Sample target shown, R-L, R-L, at 100 meters.

The 8X60 is a great round-I'm surprised it has seemingly lost a lot of its' former popularity. If I live long enough, some day I fully intend to have a bolt-action in this caliber! There's a nice Mannlicher/Schoenauer 8X60S on Gunbroker right now - wish I could afford it!!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Nitroman
posted Hide Post
Eldeguello,

Don't become discouraged. Here is a left/right shot of my rifle.

I found this on www.auctionarms.com with a set of Hornady New Dimension dies it cost me $250.00 not including shipping. Within a few months of this I bought a 9x57mm Guild Rifle that'll have you drooling (well not quite but it is pretty). The deals are there. Smiler
I think I am going to find some Woodleigh bullets for this old gal. I do have some 180 grain Barnes, but I will see how they shoot first.
Nice target, now all you need to do is put a moose behind it! Smiler

Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Posts: 1844 | Location: Southwest Alaska | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote