New
Find
Notify
Tools

T/C pro hunter
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
How do you check the OAL on a single shot? I have the tool from sinclair to do my bolt actions but I would like to know where to seat 210gr 338 TSX in my 338 Federal

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Take your barrel off your frame. Take a loaded round with the bullet seated out deliberately too far, and try to drop it into the chamber. Keep turning down the seating die quarter turn at a time until the cartridge just goes flush to the breach. That's your over all length to the lands in that barrel, with that particular bullet. You'll have to do that with each bullet type you want to load.

From there you can play with amount of bullet jump, most start at .010 off lands and play with it in and out from there. I usually start at .010 off lands.

It's not a very scientific method, kind of tedious, but it works, and you'll only have to do it once for each bullet type.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thank you! and that sounds easy enough but with the barnes tsx they want you to be .050 off the lands

One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
True, the Barnes like a lot of freebore. I've only tried them in one TC barrel, my 6.8 spc, and it didn't like them, I think the bullet was too light (110 gr) for my bbl. Haven't tried the heavier ones. So get your measurement to the lands and go back .050 and go from there.

Good luck.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote