Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Questons and Crimp Die problems
 Login/Join

posted
I’m kind of a novice on reloading with a press and have a few problems.

I am having a hard time using my Lee Factory Crimp Die and basically not getting a crimp unless the bullet I’m using has a canneleture groove and I seat within the canneleture. Then it crimps perfectly. But when using say a Sierra w/o the groove I can’t seem to get a good positive crimp. In some instances I can actually twist the bullet in the casing by hand.

I called Lee and they said that I might be trimming my casings too short. I use the Lee case trimmer and just figured that it comes from the factory at the proper length. Is there any way to adjust the length it trims to? Maybe by just not screwing it in all the way?

What does maximum trim length mean? I’m assuming it is the maximum length your case can be before trimming?

Thank you very much.

one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
What are you crimping?
Handgun cartridges should be loaded with bullets with a crimp groove. Rifle bullets unless used in a semi-auto or MAYBE a lever action don`t need a crimp. The most common reason for a bullet to be loose enough to twist in a case after seating is too much crimp was applied, which forces the neck to bulge behind the crimp releasing it`s grip on the bullet. The case neck its self should grip the bullet enough to properly hold it. No crimp needed!

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
.308 and 30-06 mostly. The .308 I share between a bolt rifle and a semi-auto.

one of us
Picture of 243winxb
posted Hide Post
Maximum trim length- This is the longest the case can be after full length or neck sizing the brass. If the brass is to long it will not fit the chamber of the firearm. A Lee case trimmer(cutter, case lenght gage, lock stud, shellholder) will trim to less then maximun length, about .010" shorter. All cases have a maximum length and a minimum case trim to length. .010" is common in a lot of calibers.

Posts: 1295 | Location: USA | Registered: 21 May 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Hey smeagol

When you set the crimp and raise the ram, do the gaps between the collets close completely, or do you adjust it to leave a little gap between them when the ram is completely raised?

To quote from the instructions

"When the four splits in the collet are closed, maximum crimp has been achieved. Do not try for more as the die will be damaged and the crimp excessive."

I usually adjust mine until the gaps are only 1/2 closed.

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've attempted everything from a quarter turn of the crimp die to a full turn and a half by accident. In most instances the four sections do come together all the way but the bullet is loose enough I can twist it by hand. So far the only method I've been able to use to get a tight crimp where I can't twist by hand is to use fired brass which hasn't been trimmed. I have to shoot up some rounds to get some brass before I can try again, though. I have been informed that my bullet seater my be attempting to roll crimp and that could be also affecting the situation.

one of us
Picture of Reloader
posted Hide Post
You may be seating the bullets too deep.

If you seat them too deep the FCD doesn't work very well. How are you determining your OAL?

I've seen this on short magazine rifles when loading the pointy poly tipped bullets.

Good Luck

Reloader

Posts: 4146 | Location: North Louisiana | Registered: 18 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Right now I'm determining my seating depth based on the OAL from my manuals.