New
Find
Notify
Tools

Perfect reloading room
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
If you were to design your ultimate reloading room what features would you insist on? Budget is no object.

Jeff

In the land of the blind, the man with one eye is king.

Posts: 784 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 18 December 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
a heavy duty floor that would hold lots of ammo weight

Posts: 13460 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Humidity control, then temperature control would be the next item I would insist upon.

Plenty of shelving is a must have as well.

Rick

Posts: 178 | Location: North Alabama | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The exact same spartan 9' X 11' bedroom with the same rough but heavy duty 4X4 and 2X4 constructed bench and Home Depot storage cabinets I have now, only the window next to the bench which now overlooks a postage stamp back yard would overlook a 1000 yard test range with about 250,000 acres of my privately owned excellent elk habitat beyond that. Smiler

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery!
Hit the target, all else is twaddle.

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm in the process of designing mine now. We will be buying a new home in October, so I can start from scratch.

So far, I have come up with a "U" shaped area, with the top of the work area desk high, so that I can have a nice office type chair on wheels to move around on. On the left side of the "U" will be my case preparation area - case cleaning, neck turning, primer pockets, trimming etc. At the bottom of the "U" will be the press, powder measure and scales for assembling cartridges. I will mount my presses on a 12" square piece of plate steel that slips into a recess in the bench, making it possible to have several tools that occupy one place rather than have three or four presses etc. permanently mounted on the bench. On the right side of the "U" I plan to have my computer and measuring tools so that everything can be measured and recorded.

All of this will be well lighted and have plenty of storage so that the work area will be bright and uncluttered.

brassbender

one of us
posted Hide Post
One justs has to look at the opening picture.
That is a dam nice one.

Mine is 10x12 I could easy use another 10 feet so 10 x22 or 20 x12 would be nice. Lots of bench top and storage, I figure one needs about 2 to 3 feet of bench top for each press or loader one has plus some extra for misc. things. I have 16 feet of top and need more.

Posts: 19570 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
One that Wifezilla can't get into.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am pretty happy with mine right now. It could use a few more shelves but all it all it works rather well. I placed mine in my basement. The room is temperature controlled and I have a dehumidifier installed in the room set up to drain into a floor drain with trap. Constant flow and no sewer gas. I built my bench using 2X4's and it is rock solid anchored to the floor and concrete walls. It is 3 foot deep with 2 shevles under the work bench to organize my dirty and clean brass. The work top is 2 foot deep of work space with 1 foot deep shelves beyond that. My shelves are three high. This allows plenty of space not to be cramped yet allow organization space too. The bench is "L" shapped and achored to both walls. All in all it is about 32' long counting both walls. My gun safe is built in and I have two closets to hold rifle cases, backpacks, hunting cloths, etc. All my dies, brass, bullets, powder, scales, primers, and loading manuals are within easy reach from the loading station. My brass cleaner and media separator are located in another area just to ensure the vibrations do not affect the powder scale. This allows me to be loading for one caliber while cleaning brass for others.

The best thing I did was draw my room out several times on graph paper and then tape off the floor. Then walk through how things would flow. One thing for sure. You can never ever have too many shelves.

I have a whole separte bench and bench area for gun cleaning located next to my safe with a virticle rifle rack attached to the wall. The butt rests on the bench top and the barrel rests in slots. This way I can remove several guns in order to get to the one I need and still have a place to keep them safe while working or cleaning on any particular one. This also keeps any oils and solvents away from my loading area.

Posts: 513 | Location: MO | Registered: 14 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The whole room to be alike a safe so that all rifles could be on the rack like in a store and Dillon 1050's set up for each caliber you like except for the ones that would not fit of course, then I would have all my own bullet making equipment as well and an indoor 100 yard range etc.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
This would be mine. http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/showflat.php/Cat/0/Number/466788/an/0/page/0#466788

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy crap...what a ride!"

Posts: 3512 | Location: Denton, TX | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm with Jim in Idaho, but Longbob's link can't be beat....
Sako

Posts: 81 | Location: Savannah, Georgia | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a reloading house.

lawndart

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SakoL61R:
I'm with Jim in Idaho, but Longbob's link can't be beat....
Sako

Oops, Longbob found where I stole my idea from. Smiler

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery!
Hit the target, all else is twaddle.

Posts: 1027 | Registered: 24 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ropes
posted Hide Post
damm nice set up there.. I will settle for the 30x30 shop I plan on putting up next year..

Posts: 549 | Location: Denial | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
Jim,

I almost shorted out my laptop by slobbering all over it looking at Hammer's set-up. I'd be afraid to shoot off my Lott there in fear that it would wake me up from my dream. Smiler

Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting "...holy crap...what a ride!"

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I like the pic of the chronographs. I assume the rubber mallet is for calibration.

posted Hide Post
When I was a happy batch of 24, we had a pretty good loading room.

An old farmhouse in the country had an upstairs hall facing the rear of the house. It was about 14 feet long and about 8 feet wide. It had two windows flanking a door leading to the flat porch roof.

We put a 14 foot bench on both walls, one for rifle, the other for shotgun. On the porch roof, we built a shooting bench and had targets at 100 and 200 yards out.

On inclement days, we'd just open a window and shoot out of them.

Those were the days......

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hammer forgot to show pictures of his garden with his plants that grow 1000 dollar bills!

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Spring
posted Hide Post
The thing I like most about mine and that I would insist upon when creating the ideal set-up, is to be able to step outside of your reloading room and sit down at your shooting bench so you can fire away at 100-200 yards. The conveneince found when you can make your loads and then test them immediately can set apart your room from others.
It's easy to build a room in which to reload, but it's the location of that room that I would say helps make your overall setup "ultimate."

Posts: 1445 | Location: Bronwood, GA | Registered: 10 June 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My room would have a series of robots for case preparation.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Cement floor. Cinder block walls. Put rubber interlocking pad over for the floor comfort. Benches framed in steel square tube and angles bolted to floor and walls. Thick plywood flooring material for benchtops. Maybe two layers of ply glued together. Put linolium on benchtops for clean look. Put trim on the edges to prevent stuff from rooling off. The whole room would have wall cabinents lining all the wall space possible. Base cabinents under the bench wherever possible. Put in tons of storage. Steel security door. South facing window if possible, with shade. The shooting port idea is great. I would try to have one with a bench.

I would have a built in safe as a seperate attached small room. Find a bank vault door for the built in gunsafe. Walls of the safe would have two sets of vertical racks for long guns, one at floor level and one starting midway up the wall. I would make storage space for ammo, powder and primers in the vault. 12' x 14" vault? Maybe bigger. I love the idea of a true vault for all the guns and valuable stuff. One could sell it as a wine cellar if the house was ever sold.

If the "gunroom" was built in to the side of a hill, the temperature would be consisitent winter or summer. It would also just be very cool to have a hidden away play room. Not sure about humidity issues though. Air conditioning if necessary would also help to dehumidify.

I do not care for flourescent lighting. I would put recessed cans in the works spaces for direct lighting where needed. Maybe a couple of flourescents for general lighting. The guns room would be seperate from the main house.

one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Liberty safes sell vault doors and frames for about $2,400

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12688 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Longbob
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1894mk2:
My room would have a series of robots for case preparation.

Didn't think of that. Upon further reflection, mine would be Hooter's girls. Cool

One of Us
Picture of brasskeeper
posted Hide Post
quote:

Where is the Waitress?? I dont see a recliner!!!

Posts: 135 | Location: Central Kentucky | Registered: 05 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of oneills
posted Hide Post
Can't beat that one of Longbobs.It makes my little reloading room look like an outhouse.

Posts: 73 | Location: Vic, Australia | Registered: 19 November 2002Reply With Quote