THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

C.O.L. of Factory Federal .270 130 gr. TSX?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am (trying) to work up a load in my father-in-laws M70 .270 with 130 gr. TSX's. I've played with C.O.L.'s and powders (4350 both flavors and IMR4831). Dismal at best. If someone has the C.O.L. of the factory round, I'd appreciate it if you would post the measurement.

Thanks.

Alan

Posts: 149 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 05 November 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alan

from my own experiences the individual gun will dictate the optimum length for the O.A.L for a round so loaded, I have loded my own ammo with the 130 TSX and have got some wonderful results accuracy wise, but my loads will not shoot as accurately in my friends .270, his rifle required the bullets seated back a further .040".

Barnes recommends around a .050" set back, my own rifle prefers only .030" from the lands whereas my friends rifle uses them at .070" from the lands, both rifles will shoot to under 1 inch at 100 yards.

I do not have my O.A.L with me presently but will post it if you feel it will help. Ultimately magazine box length may dictate what length you can seat out to.

If you can find a factory loaded TSX that shoots well then you are cooking with gas, here in the U.K we can't get them, so handloading is the only option.

The bullets arte certainly worth trying and appear to represent a huge accuracy improvement over the older "X" bullets

Posts: 343 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I seat my 130 TSX to the top groove, and that works real well for me.

Remember, forgivness is easier to get than permission.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alan,
Your timing is great. Following the outstanding advice of another regular on this forum, "Doc", I have just completed working up a new load for my .270Win (Remington 700 BDL Rifle) using the 130 gr. Barnes TSX.

Barnes 130 gr. Triple Shock X
57.0 gr. Reloader 19
Federal 210M Match primer
Velocity = 3020 fps
3-shot group at 100 yards = 0.562 inch

I agree with Jonathan regarding a rifle's own/unique OAL or COL, but mine is 3.488

My rifle also prefers the TSX about .07 off the lands.

Good luck - your gonna LOVE those TSX's! - Bill

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
And get pats on the back as you pass.
But your final reward will be heartache and tears
If you've cheated the man in the glass

Posts: 49 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 23 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Everyone...thanks for the feedback.

Alan

Posts: 149 | Location: NW Oregon | Registered: 05 November 2003Reply With Quote