New
Find
Notify
Tools

7mm mag with barnes bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am new to reloading and just picked up the barnes reloading #3 manual. Can u guys give me you experiences with the barnes bullets? is it worth switching from nosler partition factory loads? I wanna shoot 160gr. pills, and my range will be no more then 250yds. How do they work with close shots 50yds or less? Is accuracy good? wich bellet, X or XLC? If u could answer any of these questions it would very much appreciated. thanx

P.S. I was given some imr4064 and reloader22. Any of these good in the 7mag??

one of us
posted Hide Post
Reloader 22 is a good choice for the 7mm, but not the 4064.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
redneck7mm,

Barnes X bullets can present some difficulties with getting accuracy and are probably not ideal for someone new to reloading.

If I was going to use Barnes X in 7mm I would probably go for 140 grains rather than the 160s.

4064 is not at all suitable for full powered loads in the 7mm Rem.

Mike

Posts: 7206 | Location: Sydney, Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the 160 grain "X" bullets in my 7mm WEatherby mag.I tried the "XLC" bullets and they would not group in my gun.Reloader 22 is a good powder for the 7mm,but mine shoots better with Reloader 25 with the 160 grain bullet.

Posts: 507 | Location: Rogersville ,tn,usa | Registered: 06 August 2001Reply With Quote
<Don Krakenberger>
posted
What game animal are you after--pick the bullet based on the animal and the hunting conditions. TEll us more please.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Sorry guys, i plan on hunting whitetail and black bear. mabe elk sometime when i get out west.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
RL-22 is excellent for the 7mm Mag...however, I have never managed to have Barnes bullets shoot as well as run of the mill Sierra or Hornady...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try 150 grain Swift Scirroco, with reloader 22 or reloader 19. Have also had some of my best accuracy with IMR 4350.

Happy Hunting

Posts: 182 | Location: Okotoks, Alberta | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the discontinued H-450

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Bill>
posted
redneck,

the barnes may not be the best choice for light game like white-tailed deer. you would probably be much better served with a more conventional bullet.

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had nothing buy good luck with Barnes X. I've taken 5 elk in the last 12 years, all of them one shot kills. I have never recovered one, but they all left nice holes through the chest. They worled the same for 2 deer, both at close range. My 300 Win would shoot sub minute groups for 20 to 25 round then demand a good cleaning. The first group out was slightly larger than a minute. Then last year it started throwing groups all over the paper. Turns out the barrel had almost 5000 round through it. So, it was off to the sporting goods store rifle and dollars in hand. As soon as warm weather sets in here on the Plains, I plan to work up a new load starting with R-252 and Barnes X 180 BT. Since the rifle is a twin to the one I traded in, I expect it will do the same job.

My second choice after Barnes are Nosler 180 BT. They shoot to the same minute all day, every day. I just like the penitration of the X.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Load the 7mag up with 4831 or 4350 and 160gr hornady bullets and use it on everything. Take the difference between the hornadys and the barnes bullets, fold it in the middle, and smile all the way to the bank. You haven't hurt yourself at all. If you go elk hunting and want to move up bullet-wise, use a partition or grand slam.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote