New
Find
Notify
Tools

Reloading bench location
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone see any reason why reloading rounds in a garage during the winter months (20-40F) would cause problems with the final product i.e. accuracy, velocity, etc.?

One of Us
Picture of ted thorn
posted Hide Post
None

Posts: 7361 | Location: South East Missouri | Registered: 23 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
only if you're shivering enough that you can't read your scale or other tools Smiler

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 900 SS
posted Hide Post
I'm doing it.

My concern is that I might get problems with condensation on the tools when the temp swing around 32 f / 0 C. But so far so good.

Posts: 408 | Location: Bardu, Norway | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Get yourself a kerosene heater and set it in the opposite corner of your shop. Crack a window to achieve one square foot of open area. Or get one of those ceramic heaters. Reloading where it's cold is just no fun...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I think you should set up your reloading bench in your living room. If your wife complains, tell her to get back in the kitchen or go out to the garage. hilbily

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Gary Surko
posted Hide Post
This guy knows how to treat a women. My hero.

quote:
Originally posted by Blacktailer:
I think you should set up your reloading bench in your living room. If your wife complains, tell her to get back in the kitchen or go out to the garage. hilbily

Political correctness offends me.

Posts: 668 | Location: Hastings, Michigan | Registered: 23 April 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
I think you should set up your reloading bench in your living room.

Mine is. I live alone...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've noticed green corrosion on a few of my fired cases which initially raised the question...anyone else who loads in the garage have this problem?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Since I've moved to TN, I reload in my den.

A dining room is a good place to reload. It's close to the kitchen for your wife to fetch tea and sandwiches and if you have folks over, a nice table cloth will cover up the holes you drilled in the table to mount your stuff. Smiler
If you've no more than four guest, you can leave your press and such mounted and just eat around them. Smiler

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
...leave your press and such mounted and just eat around them.

Works for me! Between courses, you can have your guests help to prep the brass...

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Load in a climate controlled location. Your equipment will rust otherwise.

I only run power trimmers in the garage.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rick boggs
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buliwyf:
Load in a climate controlled location. Your equipment will rust otherwise.

I only run power trimmers in the garage.
the rust is a pain i just built an add on to my shop it is insulated and i will be putting a furnace in it . anybody know a way to get that surface rust off?

Posts: 518 | Location: KENTUCKY | Registered: 05 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Kroil & #0000 steel wool

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Keep your presses covered when not in use and it will cut down on the rust problems considerably. An old pillow case works good.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ive heard that you can install a couple ceiling fans and it will almost eliminate the moisture issues. im setup in my shed which is built off the ground on skids. i have yet to find anything signs of moisture. my dad just built a metal building on a slab parked the harley in it right after completion and it was soaked the next morning. he will be installing ceiling fans.

Posts: 300 | Location: louisiana | Registered: 04 January 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I depend on modern lubricants for protecting my metal equipment. I coat with either oil or grease by Tetra. The smaller pieces are coated with oil and heated in a toaster oven to improve absorption by the porous metal. Larger pieces have grease on a nylon brush scrubbed into them. So far, no issues.