THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Combined Technology (CT) Failsafe 270gr & 300gr for 338-06?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Combined Technology (CT) Failsafe 270gr & 300gr for 338-06?
 Login/Join

posted
Hey guys,

I was checking out the Powder Valley website and noticed there are 230gr, 270gr, and 300gr bullets for the 338. I picked the 338-06 because I wanted more weight than a 30-06. So, it begs the question...

Can I load these heavier bullets safely / effectively for this cartridge? Up to now I have only seen/read data on the 250gr as the heaviest in current use.

Thanks again.

Thomas

Proverbs 30:7-9 (New International Version)

7 "Two things I ask of you, O LORD;
do not refuse me before I die:

8 Keep falsehood and lies far from me;
give me neither poverty nor riches,
but give me only my daily bread.

9 Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you
and say, 'Who is the LORD ?'
Or I may become poor and steal,
and so dishonor the name of my God.

Posts: 16 | Location: Benton, PA | Registered: 05 July 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Mighty Peace
posted Hide Post
I would say the 230's would be great. I'm looking at doing up a 338-06 project rifle soon. As to the CT Failsafe bullets, I never had problems with them out of my 300WM in 180gr, as others have had. I switched to the Partition Golds in 1997 (got tired of the soft nose point squaring off)and now since 2004 the Accubonds for my big game rifles. 225gr Accubonds would be a great choice for your rifle.

The Failsafes will give you 100% WT, but may not open up properly at short yardage / high velocity shots.

Hope this helps.

Posts: 431 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 02 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
You might check w/ PV, I think that's a typo. As far as I know, the Failsafe was never made in .338 heavier than 230gr. I'll bet that's info. on .375s. Woodleigh does make 300gr bullets in .338 & WW did for awhile. They were popular w/ the .338wm users when that round first came out. I think you'll find 300gr too long for decent vel. out of your .338-06. I have some of the old 275gr bullets Speer used to make & am going to give them a try sometime, but I am only getting 2450fps from my 250gr & don't think expansion will be very good w/ the 275gr, just too slow.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Mighty Peace -

I will try the 225gr Accubonds out. I know I will want to try out a lot of different bullets until the novelty of reloading my own cartridges wears off...I am not sure what the "100% WT" means though? Thanks.

fredj338 -

I am pleased to finally "meet" you -- I have read many of your posts. The 338 is a big interest of mine.
Now that you mention it, you're correct and I should have caught it. Those were not weights I am used to seeing for a 338-06 and should have paused a moment to consider that inconsistency.

Thanks.

Tom

Proverbs 30:7-9 (New International Version)

7 "Two things I ask of you, O LORD;
do not refuse me before I die:

8 Keep falsehood and lies far from me;
give me neither poverty nor riches,
but give me only my daily bread.

9 Otherwise, I may have too much and disown you
and say, 'Who is the LORD ?'
Or I may become poor and steal,
and so dishonor the name of my God.

Posts: 16 | Location: Benton, PA | Registered: 05 July 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Hey Tom, many good bullets out there for the 338-06. My favorite is the 210grNP. The Barnes 185gr-210gr have a big following but haven't been accurate in my rifle. I am playing w/ some 18gr TSX & they look promising but the 210grNP @ 2750fps is ole reliable. beer

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote