Find
Notify
Tools

Components?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted
So I read that you should not substitute different brands of components for the data you're loading to. Our local shop is all out of CCI large pistol primers that I need for my .45 ACP. Can I use the Remington large pistol primers safely?

Job security for lead minors since 1984.

Posts: 110 | Location: Quincy, IL. | Registered: 09 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
To switch primers safely you need to back off your load and work back up. Primers can make a surprisingly large difference in pressure, velocity and accuracy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by whelenite:
To switch primers safely you need to back off your load and work back up. Primers can make a surprisingly large difference in pressure, velocity and accuracy.

Yep.

But this is tru for Any componet

Snake

one of us
posted Hide Post
In handgun loads operating in the pressure range of teh .45 ACP load any LP primer you wish. You won't know the difference. Even with the most sophisticated equipment, the differences in pressure or pressure curve would be less than the margin of error for the measuring equipment.

Or start over using the lowest load listed for the given powder if you wish. As you work back up all you'll see is that you don't see anything.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I lke Stonecreek says. Shooting the hottest loads you can in a 45 ACP does not get you much.

Use a starting load all the time and the primers matter little.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I figured at a starting load it would be ok. I asked the gun "expert" at the sporting goods store and he said it would be fine. He probably would have told me I could stuff the pocket with C-4 if they sold it there though.... Just thought I'd ask the pros, Thanks!
patriot

Posts: 110 | Location: Quincy, IL. | Registered: 09 February 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Go ahead - stuff the primer pocket with C4. It won't work, of course, but it won't blow anything up, either.

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of medic883
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JLarsson:
Go ahead - stuff the primer pocket with C4. It won't work, of course, but it won't blow anything up, either.

I was trying to be waggish! Big Grin

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by medic883:
quote:
Originally posted by JLarsson:

I was trying to be waggish! Big Grin

Yeah, me too. Forgot the emoticons. Big Grin Wink dancing

And you made a good point - the advice you get from the gun counter may well be driven by the desire to make a sale and is suspect until confirmed from an independent source or sources.

Of course, there IS a perception by some that because it's an "explosive", that C4 is like nitroglycerin or something, a la "The Legend of Zorro". animal

Jon Larsson - Hunter - Shooter - Reloader - Mostly in that order...Wink

Posts: 682 | Location: Western Montana | Registered: 24 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Hunt-ducks
posted Hide Post
common sense goes a long way in reloading.

If you have 6 different guides each one will list a different primer mfg but be near spot on with powder charge.

IMHO a LP primer is just that a large pistol primer no matter who makes it there is not a enought to make a diff.

Posts: 450 | Location: CA. | Registered: 15 May 2006Reply With Quote