New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rotttweil Powders
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Do they roughly equal any of the powders available in the US? Are they made by Bofors up in Sweden?

903=

905=

907=

etc.

etc.

Thanks

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
/

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have an old posting that matches the RWS powders to Norma and the RL series, etc.. as follows=

R902 >> RL15 >> N202
R904 >> RL19 >> N204
R905 >> RL22 >> MRP

I have only experimented with the 902/RL15 match and the 904/RL19/N204 match, and they appear to be close.

LLS

Posts: 996 | Location: Texas | Registered: 14 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you guys very much.

They are all probably made by Bofors in Sweden.

I like the RWS Weiderladen book; I just needed some locally available powder equivalents.

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John, to my knowledge the equivalence with RL, Norma and RWS powders is slightly different:

R903 ~ RL15 ~ N203.

Other than that, the information I have agrees with what Sierra2 posted.

See also my post on the Euro Forum.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
Picture of BushmanDK
posted Hide Post
Hi.
In Scandinavia Rhino Powder from the European Distributor of Rhino bullets is now avalible.
This powder is produced at Bofors.
From Rhino Powder I have recived this table, showing relative Burn rate and pressure.
Norma, Rhino, Alliant and RWS powders are all produced by Bofors.
I use the same data for Norma MRP, Rhino RP22 and Reloader 22, and have not seen any difference.

By the way, both Bofors and Vithavuori are owned by the same company - EURENCO.

BushmanDK

Posts: 12 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 26 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
The table contains a dangerous mistake.

R903 and R907 obviously got mixed up. R903 has a faster burn rate than R907.

Picture of BushmanDK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by McFox:
The table contains a dangerous mistake.

R903 and R907 obviously got mixed up. R903 has a faster burn rate than R907.

Hi.
According to RWS "Wiederladen" is the burn rate of 907 between 903 and 904, very close to 903 in most cases.
The table range powders to Relative Burn Rate / Pressure.
903 = 115 / 122
907 = 115 / 138
904 = 101 / 99
According to the table 903 and 907 have the same burn rate, but 907 develops a higher pressure.

BushmanDK

Posts: 12 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 26 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That is a very interesting chart, Bushman. Thanks for posting it.

Assuming no actual data is available for a particular powder, but you have data for a closely related powder, how can you expect differences in burn rate and pressure to manifest themselves in your load??

Example: if I had data for RL25 (BR/P = 83/72)but don't access to that powder. In the table the closest I can get to RL25 is VV N165 (84/69). I take it that means a slightly faster burn rate, but a somewhat lower pressure - so can I make an educated guess what that will mean for my N165 data??

Finally, how should one interpret the pressure data?? The burn rate data seem fairly straightforward - slower powders = lower burn rate data. But what about the pressure date, how is that to be interpreted - if at all??

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a lot of RL19 and RL22 speed powder. Is there any reason (i.e. cost advantage or some performance advantage) to looking for any of these in the US instead of just using the Alliant branded powders?

Posts: 41 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 03 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Alliant powders can be VERY hard to come by outside the US - e.g. they are no longer imported into Switzerland. So for us non-US shooters, alternatives are essential.

In the US, I would just use RL powders - I think they are cheaper than Norma (if you can get those).

- mike

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Mike.

Norma is available here but availability seems to be very spotty. I've used some but you can'r depend on it being available when you need more.

I was hoping there may be some sort of performance edge to these powders, perhaps less temperature sensitivity. Where I hunt elk the temperature could be 70F one day and 15F the next. I would try some out if they had some advantage.

I have tried the Hodgdon extreme powders. I'm just looking for something better if it's out there.

Posts: 41 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 03 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ALL powder manufactures make powders to specific specifications . That being said use what's available in you're areas because these powders are supposed to be the Same rate of burn .

Like any other product lot too lot quality control may vary .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote