New
Find
Notify
Tools

.300 Remington Ultra Mag Reloads
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I recently added a Remington .300 Ultra Mag to my collection. It is a Model 700 LSS (Stainless with Laminated Stock). I'm about to start working up a load for the 180 gr Barnes Triple Shock X-Bullet and would appreciate any of your favorite loads in this rifle to help me more quickly achieve the 1/2 MOA accuracy I'm hoping to achieve. I've read of this kind of accuracy off-the-shelf.

Thanks for your help - Bill

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
And get pats on the back as you pass.
But your final reward will be heartache and tears
If you've cheated the man in the glass

Posts: 49 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 23 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had great luck with 89-90gr of RL25. But I found your COL is important with TSX. I loaded a batch at 3.580", batch at 3.6", and some at 3.625". The 3.625" batch got sub0.5MOA. The 3.58" got little over MOA.

Posts: 459 | Location: Finksburg, MD | Registered: 20 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 180 Triple shock will do what you want but I can't give you the exact load since I have the 300SAUM. The best powder that I found was the H4350 EXT. Since your case is a little bigger you may need something slower.
Good luck.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I also have a 300 RUM in LSS. Found 85-87.5 grains RL22 with 180 gr. Nosler Accubonds work best so far for my rifle. Will go with 200 gr. Accubonds and RL 25 next. Haven't tried the Barnes yet. I always load to max mag length (3.690 for my rifle), but may be different for your situation. Got rid of the J lock. Looking at bedding and trigger job next. Let us know what you find. Good luck!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I've yet to find a load for my LSS that will even approach .5 MOA. 1.5 is more like it. (I'm talking five shot groups, fired slowly enough to let the barrel cool down.)

Posts: 444 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
MagPro From 78.7 grains to 94.0 grains
Remington 9-1/2M Primer

But...0.5 MOA is gonna be tough to get with the Barnes bullets...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm getting less than .5 MOA with my Savage 116 Stainless Steel 300 RUM (3 shot groups, with best groups at 1/4"). I'm using IMR 4350 with the Nosler Ballistic Tip pellets. The chronographed muzzle velocity is 2980 fps. I'm not into the high velocity barrel burners, otherwise, I would use some of the other powders that people report muzzle velocities over 3200 fps.

Posts: 257 | Location: Torrance, Ca | Registered: 02 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
An update on my original/opening post -
with all the great help you guyz provided me, I worked up some loads for 180 gr Barnes Triple Sock bullets in front of a pile of Reloader 25 and headed for the range. I left the shooting range for home that first day with a smile on my face because I achieved a 3-shot group inside of 7/8 inch with the first batch of reloads!

I'm heading back the the range this weekend hoping to get close to 1/2".

My next loads will focus on 165 gr Sierra Match Kings for target and steel siholette shooting. Can anyone give me a recomendation for a super accurate load with that bullet, in a Remington LSS Stainless?

Thanks again! - Bill

You may fool the whole world down the pathway of years
And get pats on the back as you pass.
But your final reward will be heartache and tears
If you've cheated the man in the glass

Posts: 49 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: 23 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Haven't tried the 180 triple shock but my two favorite 300 ultra loads use the 200 gr accubond. One is 92 gr RL25, Fed 215M, and OAL set to magazine max. 3150-75 FPS and itty bitty cloverleaf groups. The other is 95 gr Retumbo, Fed 215M, and shoots pretty darn good too. That 200 gr accubond with its weight and High BC shoots plenty flat and carries a punch way out there. I did notice that the RL 25 load was a little easier on my shoulder. It has been my experience that RL 25 can vary in burning rate from one lot to the next. Work up your loads.

Posts: 69 | Location: Milwaukie, Oregon | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of PeterPan
posted Hide Post
I have under 1/2 MOA with Accubond 200 grain,
AA3100 86grain, .030" from lands, Fed 215, Rem case, velocity 3000fps

Took moose at 365 yr last year

Posts: 202 | Location: Bolton | Registered: 21 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have had good luck with:

Nosler 180 accubonds, 95 grains Reloader 25, CCI 250 primers

Also 165 grain Barnes X'BT' 95.5 grains Reloader 25 and CCI 250 primers.

I also have a good load using 168 Match kings in my 300 RUM but I can't remember the load off the top of my head. I will take a look and get back to you later tonight.

My rifle also happens to be a 700 LSS. I found building a bridge under the barrel shrunk my groups by almost half.

Posts: 968 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
OK I looked up that MatchKing load.

168 Grain MatchKing, 92.0 Grains IMR 7828, CCI 250.

The Sierra loading manual lists 92.2 of IMR 7828 as the most accurate load but also the max loading. So as always be safe and work up to it.

Posts: 968 | Location: British Columbia | Registered: 29 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:

My next loads will focus on 165 gr Sierra Match Kings for target and steel siholette shooting. Can anyone give me a recomendation for a super accurate load with that bullet, in a Remington LSS Stainless?

Thanks again! - Bill

I've loaded for 3 different 300 RUMs, and all of them shot best with 200gr Bullets. My Sako 75 loves 200gr Accubonds and Retumbo, I highly reccommend you experiment with the combination.

Secondly you need to be careful about what steel silhouettes you shoot with a 300 RUM. Shooting the silhouettes at our range with a 300 RUM will get you kicked out of the club! Anytime you get velocity over 3000fps you start getting severe target damages. I ran our silhouette division for several years and have repaired a bunch of targets damages by 22 centerfires and high velocity magnums. Please check that it's OK to shoot steel with a magnum where you're shooting................DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 300 Rum likes Retumbo and Barnes X bullets.Max is about 98 grs and the 180 X. Rl 25 was very good as well but the Retumbo groups are tighter.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
I am having great results with federal case's fed. 215 primers and 99.5 grains of Retumbo with either the 180 grain TXS or 180 Accu Bond,for 3426 fps and 3463 fps respesctivly. I am also experimenting with WC-872 powder and the same combo of brass primers and bullets 115 grains of WC-872 yeilds 3377 fps with the 180 Accu Bond.

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
jwp475, WC872 must be very dense. Do you have any issue getting 115 gr stuffed underneath the 180 accubond?

Posts: 69 | Location: Milwaukie, Oregon | Registered: 23 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of jwp475
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dufur:
jwp475, WC872 must be very dense. Do you have any issue getting 115 gr stuffed underneath the 180 accubond?

WC-872 looks like H-870 but slower in burning rate. In answer to your question 115 grains is all that I can get in the case and still seat the bullet to 3.6" which is as long as my magazine will allow

A 9mm may expand to a larger diameter, but a 45 ain't going to shrink

Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing had happened.
- Winston Churchill

Posts: 5077 | Location: USA | Registered: 11 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ricciardelli:
MagPro From 78.7 grains to 94.0 grains
Remington 9-1/2M Primer

But...0.5 MOA is gonna be tough to get with the Barnes bullets...

I disagree. TSX is on par with a btip for ease of accuracy in 9 of my rifles. A standard Barnes X may be a diff. story or the XLC.

My first ever group test with a TSX in my 270 with Re19 demonstrated less than MOA for every powder charge.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
posted Hide Post
Doc is right. The TSX's have pretty much dissolved the myth that Barnes bullets won't shoot. I have a couple rifles that shoot them near 1/4 MOA......at 300yds.........DJ

....Remember that this is all supposed to be for fun!..................

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote