Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Swift A-Frames
 Login/Join

posted
I'm looking for loading data with swift bullets for the 35 Whelen in 250 and 280 gr. If anyone can help please PM me.
Thanks
Yukonhunter

One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
I always get into trouble saying this but for Swift A-Frames I'd load them with the same data I'd use for any bullet in the same weight and caliber.....THIS ASSUMES you always start low several grains and work up.

Using this technique will get you into trouble with monolithics and bullets that have the back half all copper but you can do it with the A-Frames and Nosler Particians.

Sorry.....data for the 280 grain is something I've never seen.

Email Swift for this data.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a Whelen, but you should be fine starting with a 50g charge of 4350 and working up to around 57g. I wouldn't try to get more than 2400 fps from it.
Check with Swift, they might have an opinion about how the bullet will perform with that sort of starting speed.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My Swift manual has for the 250gr:

H-380 Starting 54.9 Max 59.0
H-4895 49.3 53.0
Varget 49.8 53.5

RL-15 50.7 54.5

IMR 4064 49.3 53.0
IMR 4320 50.7 54.5
IMR 4895 48.8 52.5

Nothing for a 280gr.

Jim

Posts: 134 | Location: dallas,tx | Registered: 29 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey yukonhunter,

In 2002 I recordered this data:

RL 15 - 59 gr.
280 gr. Swift �
Ave � 2,526
FP at muzzle � 3,966
1 � MOA

However, I do not recommend this data. My Whelen was built to shoot heavy bullets. The rifle is long throated and extremely strong. Even with the bullets loaded farther out in the case this load was compressed.

RL-15 gave the best performance. The accuracy was sub MOA at 100 yards - for most shots, the average being about 1 1/2".

The stock is in the Oberndorf style and the recoil comes straight back. With the 280 Swift it felt like a 180 gr. from my '06. If you have a stock that is not suited for handling recoil in the same manner, the recoil could be quite aversive.

yukonhunter, if you have a factory rifle, I wouldn't even attempt to work up to this laod. As I said my rifle is built for long, heavy bullets. The chamber of a factory rifle will almost certainly be too short.

If you have a rifle that is long throated, I would start out with about 50 grs. of RL-15 and work you way up slowly.

Now, with all of the cautionary stuff out of the way, I hope you have a great time experimenting with the 280 gr. Swift and your Whelen. With this load, it puts the Whelen in an entirely different catagory than the standard 250 gr. load. Not that you're going to kill any thing any deader than with a lesser bullet, but you can do it with more confidence, providing you put the bullet where it needs to go. This load is equal with the loads of the 93x62.

Good Shooting,

Smoker

Posts: 178 | Location: Pennsylvania - USA | Registered: 17 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ask Swift, and I bet they will provide you with some loading data. Make sure you tell them what powder you plan to use, and ask for recommendations. The Swift folks are very nice, and customer oriented.

Caution: Reaching 2,500+ fps with a 280-grain bullet is bringing you into dangerous territory. Such loads should be checked with a Pressure Trace or similar test equipment.

Posts: 2448 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 25 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Probably, although if his rifle is throated to seat it out to, say, 3.45" it's really a different 'cat than the Whelen. More like a Howell or Hawk.

Posts: 2000 | Location: Beaverton OR | Registered: 19 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Bwana-be,

The overall length was 3.35". I had no pressure signs during the week of testing. However, that was in October when the temperatures were in the 40s.

The next summer I took the same loads to the range when the temps were in the 90s and I started to blow the primers out of the pockets. Not only were the loads hot but you couln't touch the barrel of the rifle.

That's why all of the cautions...In cool weather, there are not presure signs but when the temps go up RL-15 seems to react more severely.

Smoker

Posts: 178 | Location: Pennsylvania - USA | Registered: 17 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post