New
Find
Notify
Tools

What barrel length for 45ACP max velocity
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am trying to determine what length to chop an Enfield 45 ACP barrel down to. It will be for a Commando Carbine project I am working on. I may use a slower burning powder like blue dot and load it to the max, what is the best length? 8", 10", 12"? For those who care, a ported barrel extension will be welded in place to make it 16.25" overall barrel length. Thanks.

Ranb

Posts: 803 | Location: WA, USA | Registered: 29 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

I have liked Hodgdon LONGSHOT in 45ACP for carbine use ( fairly close to Blue Dot in burn rate , meters very well ).
My Mechtech CCU picks up over 200 FPS with most loads VS. my 5" 1911.

FWIW 460 Rowland data is quite impressive and the cases are just a tad longer than standard 45ACP brass to keep them from chambering in a standard gun. Other than the case length the 460 is externally identical to a 45 ACP.
Hodgdon has pressure tested data for both of these rounds.
The only mod for conversion
<<<<<<< ( assuming the gun is capable of handling 460R pressure and casehead thrust ) >>>>>>>
is a few twists of a chamber reamer.

*** You did absolutely not hear me say anything about loading 460R loads in 45ACP brass , even though the brass is identical except for trim length, and an Enfield is designed for far greater pressure than a 45ACP is loaded to.... ***

Travis F.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The longer the better.
My 45acp rifle is 26".
It hits the target so hard at 100 yards, everyone can hear the hit with headphones on.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote