New
Find
Notify
Tools

Surplus bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anybody found a supply of surplus .308 bullets that shoot well? I have found some locally that while cheap, didn't shoot well, 2-3" at 50 yards.

Any links to a supplier whose bullets you can vouch for?
It seems that virgin, never loaded bullets will shoot better than pulled, am I right?
I want to use these for 7.5x55, 308, and 30-06. My goal for the summer is to be able to hit my 300 yard gong consistantly, off hand, with my k-31.

Thanks

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
don't be so tight! Big Grin

i bet u already pay half what i pay in spain for sierra HPBT, and i don't even want to
say what i pay for powder! Mad

Posts: 60 | Location: Spain | Registered: 20 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can't imagine having this hobby if I was not in America. It really is easy to fing guns, ammo, components. I can think of 7 stores to buy components in less than an hour's drive.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
http://www.grafs.com/fc/browse.php?q=&v=615&s=az&p=928 Graf and sons pay the freight (included in the price).

http://www.gibrass.com/projectiles.html Military pulled bullets

http://www.berrysmfg.com/categories/39-0.php
Plated bullets. Haven't shot them, but they are supposed to be accurate-but you can run they MV too high.

One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
You might even look at Cabela's, they carry a line of Remington and Winchester "bulk" bullets and they are cheap. I've loaded some for my 30/30 and am about to order for my 6.5 swede as well. Same stuff they load in their factory cartridges.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If accuracy is a problem, then buy bulk 150gr Rem. CL or WWPP. The cost isn't much more but they will be more accurate. If you want FMJ, IMI & WW bulk sell 147gr new, not pulled. They shoot quite well from my M1 match. Midway has 1K WW for $89.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
There is supposed to be a US GI 30cal bullet that is extremly accurate in the k31, The bullet is said to be a copy of the gp 11 bullet that the k31 normally shoots, I think its a 174grain US GI bullets I could be wrong, I wouldn't mind buying some myself, If I could get a hold of that particular bullet

in times when one needs a rifle, he tends to need it very badly.....PHC

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
what i've found is that lots of the 147 gr are not really surplus and are a bunch of sh--. best is if you can find pulled AP's

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bja105:
Has anybody found a supply of surplus .308 bullets that shoot well? I have found some locally that while cheap, didn't shoot well, 2-3" at 50 yards.

Any links to a supplier whose bullets you can vouch for?...
Hey Jason, If you can use FMJs, I had a buddy give me 1000 - 147gr FMJBTs made by FN-FAL. They were bought in 2002 and cost him $63 including the Shipping back then. He got them from www.wideners.com across the net.

I thought he was joking when he gave them to me, but I looked them over very closely and they are extremely "consistent" in appearance, dimensions and weight.

If you have had many component FMJs made by both Rem and Win, you will know what I mean when I say they look "thrown together". The amount of Lead exposed at the Base varies and you can see deformities in their bases. And their weight fluctuates a good bit. It would be strictly Luck of the Draw to get them to shoot accurately.

I've shot a good many of the FN-FALs just plinking around with a 308Win and he had an H&R 30-30 that we also loaded some for. Both of these rifles shoot them right well, but each rifle is different and some other rifles might not like them at all.

If you go this route, try 100-200 and if they shoot well in your rifles, then go for the large Lot.

Don't know if they make them for the 7mm or not.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wow, I am cheap. I've shot Rem and Win bulk hunting bullets, and they're not cheap enough!!!

Yes, all the commercial fmj bullets I've tried were not so accurrate.

I guess I want it both ways, match accuracy for $5/100.

Hot Core is the second recommendation I've had for FN bullets.

I found a new source for pulled 147's near home, $6/100. The 100 I tried shot ok in the 7.5*55. In 30-06, they shot well up to a certain powder charge, then 50 yard group opened from 1" to 4"! Thats ok, its still a useful load.
They are very un-uniform looking in the exposed lead, and one bullet was all jacket, no lead core!

Jason