New
Find
Notify
Tools

How important are primers?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I reload for several run of the mill rifle calibers... 270, 30-06, 338-06, 358 win etc. I have played with different powders and different bullet weights and brands and was wondering if I should incorporate experimenting with different brands of primers when searching for the load that likes my rifle the best. ( I have only used Fed 210's)
Or is the difference too small for my practical purposes?

Posts: 153 | Location: Omaha, NE | Registered: 06 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You'll get all kinds of different opinions on this.

For the 30 cal cartridges I have tested, I have found no difference between the peak pressure generated by magnum and regular primers.

The chemistry of CCI and Federal primers is different. The Federal has a faster risetime.

One plant manager from Federal Cartridge offered the opinion that in 30 cal and down, he would expect no benefit from magnum primers.

CCI's original claim back in the 60's was that magnum primers more uniformly lit the slow burning rifle powders of the day (4831).

That's what little I've been able to find out.

Posts: 2281 | Location: Layton, UT USA | Registered: 09 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Neverflinch
posted Hide Post
The one thing I can offer is that primers can have a dramatic impact on pressures. I saw a study using magnum primers and hot loads where the recorded pressure differences were a few thousand PSI, with everything else being equal. Fed215m being the hottest, rem 9.5m being on the coolest. So I would advise a little cation changing primers on a max load. It could increase pressure enough to give you a problem.

Posts: 434 | Location: Houston, Tx. | Registered: 13 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
When you have a load that shoots as good as you think it can, then try the same load w/ 2 or 3 diff. primers & see if it gets any better or worse. That's really the only way to find out.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of poletax
posted Hide Post
I don't have much more to offer other than Welcome to AR.
You have fallen into a wealth of information on reloading.Check out some of the past post.
Besides knowing what they are talking about,they can be very entertaining.
Welcome to the fun.

Posts: 5567 | Location: charleston,west virginia | Registered: 21 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
Just be careful when using a regular primer then advancing to a magnum primer.

ie. Don't work up a decent load using a standard primer, for say, a max load of a slow burning powder, then try a magnum primer for the same charge. You will have increased PRESSURE.

I've heard and read that certain calibers do better with magnum primers and slow powder...like a 270 and Re22. However, I've not found this to be the case personally.

The only magnum primers I use are from Winchester...simply because of availability and price. Fed match magnum primers are around here but the dealers must think they are actually made of precious metal looking at the price.

The only standard rifle primer I use is the Fed210 Gold Medal match.

I personally think that primers are the last of the 4 components in terms of importance.

If using a magnum primer, be sure to start with a minimum charge again and work your way up.

one of us
posted Hide Post
For the cartridges you are reloading I doubt that you will see a big change between LIKE STYLE primers. It you are burning powders like 4350 and slower, magnum primers will likely reorder things a bit, maybe good, maybe bad. Life is uncertain...... Do you have a chronograph?

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
Some will say yes.....some will say no.....Here's my experience.

All cases the size of .243 and larger that are filled with ball powders should have magnum primers....necessary?...no....but I think they're more accurate.....

stock one standard large rifle primer and one LR magnum primer and use them regardless of what primer mfr the load calls for.... I find no differences......and often I find no differences between standard and magnum primers.

This same philosophy will get one's tit in a wringer in a hurry with shotshell primers however.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Primers can influence accuracy, but less that other factors like bullet, powder and seating depth. I have found that in moderate temperatures (above freezing), regular primers seems to provide better groups than magnums; and Federal 210Match are very consistent as are Winchester Large Rifle. Winchester Large Rifle are a little hotter than Federal 210's. I generally start by finding the best seating depth for a bullet, then bullet, and finally powder. Once I have locked in a load, I will experiment with primers, but I work up loads with the FC 210M. I'd typically try WW WLR first, then 215M, then WW WLMR. I find that frequently magnums "blow" up a good load, widening the group. Ku-dude

one of us
posted Hide Post
I feel they are VERY important. Try reloading some rounds without them installed sometime...

J/K, but I did see a bud to that one time. Was a bit tricky to get them to fire. And he had powder leaking all over, too...

Posts: 148 | Location: Alabama | Registered: 03 December 2004Reply With Quote