New
Find
Notify
Tools

hornady 44cal 240XTP
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have been using the 44cal 240XTP in my 209X50 for a year now. I would like to try it in my S&W mod 29. Could someone give me the starting loads for this bullet with alliant2400 and IMR4227?
Regards
Rick

Posts: 236 | Location: Adirondack Mountains of NY | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
Rick -
2400: Start = 18/Max. = 22
4227: Start = 20/Max. = 24

H110/W296 works pretty well in the 44 Mag, as well.

Steve's got some good data here http://stevespages.com/429p_3_240.html

R-WEST

------------------
"the spotlight of truth will cause the cockroaches of deceit to run for cover every time"
Rush Limbaugh

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Suggest trying W296 or H110 (same powder)with this bullet. 24.7gr. of W296 is an awesome and accurate load in my Ruger SRH.

------------------
"The Constitution of the United States shall never be construed to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms." - Samuel Adams

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help. I have been told before that 296 and h110 were something I should try,I guess I will buy a pound of each and give them a whirl.
Regards
Rick

Posts: 236 | Location: Adirondack Mountains of NY | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
<Kimber Kid>
posted
Rick I just loaded some nosler 240gr. soft points at an even 20grs. of Alliant 2400.The load seemed to shoot pretty good.I used the CCI 300 primers, although I sugest using A magnum primer for a little better result.

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
cricker -
H110/W296 are (is?) essentially the same powder (it's manufactured by Primex, which is a subsidiary of Olin, and put in containers that say either H110 or W296), so, I'd go with whatever is less $$, or more available. I load the two interchangeably in 357, 44 and 45 Colt, and I sure can't tell a difference.

KimberKid - Welcome to the forum!!
Have you noticed 2400 seems to perform a little better the closer you get to the max load? It seems that way to me, and, while corresponding with another gent about heavy 45 Colt loads, he mentioned the same thing. I use W-W WLP primers for everything (with the 44 and 45); they're supposed to cover regular and magnum loads.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up on W296/H110. The shop I use most often carries a wide selection of Winchester powder. I have never seen a can of Hodgon there. I will grab a can of 296 and give it a try. On a related note, Imr powders have jumped from $17 to over $20 here recently. Winchester and alliant are still in the $15 to $17 range,Has this happened everywhere or just where I shop?
Regards
Rick

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I have been using a load of 24.0 gr. of H110 under the hornady 240 gr. XTP, along with a Federal Large Magnum Pistol primer, which gives an average velocity of about 1280 fps from my 4" S&W 629.

I don't shoot this load a lot, as I believe it puts more stress than necessary on the 629 for regular use. My normal load is 10.0 gr. of Unique and a standard large pistol primer, giving an average velocity of 1080 fps.

I saw in a recent magazine, maybe the latest Guns & Ammo, that specifically said H110 and WW296 are the same powder.

Hope that helps..

Joel Slate
Slate & Associates, LLC
www.slatesafaris.com

7mm Rem Mag Page www.slatesafaris.com/7mm.htm

Posts: 643 | Location: DeRidder, Louisiana USA | Registered: 12 August 2001Reply With Quote