Find
Notify
Tools

7x64 from 280 Rem
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted
I have a supply of 280 Rem brass and a Sako in 7x64. Based on what I have read from others, I have tried to resize my 280 brass to 7x64 using an RCBS 7x64 FL die. Since the 280 case is larger it wants to get stuck about 3/4 of an inch from the case head. Others say they resize 280 and 30-06 brass with one pass. How do you do this without getting the case stuck in the die?

Thanks,

Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
First thing you need to do is call your friends that live close and reload and find out if they have a stuck case remover. As the shoulder is lower on the 280Rem than on the 7x64 the case has to be firerformed, it wll take 3 steps to form the cases. First get hold of Imperial Sizing Wax and put on lower half of case. You don't need alot. Take the priming rod out of sizer as it is not needed at this point and will be in way if you end up pulling a case. There is only 0.005" difference in the webs of the two so just try sizeing the bases in small steps. Check the case and make sure there is wax on case. After the base is sized I would run the case over a 30cal expander and then put the depriming rod back into the sizer and set the die so it only sizes the upper 3/4 of neck. Then start turning the die down 1/4 turn at a time and check the cases in the chamber and see if the bolt will close with some resistance. What you have done is formed a false shoulder on the neck that will hold the base of case against the bolt when you firerform. Load the case with a starting load with a cheap bullet and they should come out perfectly formed with zero headspace.

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the great info. Others made it sound much easier. Looks like I will just order some 7x64 brass.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
Ok the ballgame is on and I'm to lazy to draw it up I show the neck shoulder junction on the 280 to be 2.20 and the 7x64 to be 2.18' Tells me lube the case run it in the die and load.

Since you have a 7x64 simply try and chamber a 280 case in it. I bet it will not chamber. Run it in your die and it will. The then sized case will be about 1.5-2 grs smaller(not enought for me to worry about when I load) you will need to trime as well

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Paul, thanks again for the help. It's not the shoulder I am worried about, it's the difference in case diameter above the base that's causing me problems.

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I've run 35Whelen brass into a 9.3x62. I just use the imperial(Hornady I believe) type lube. That is the basically the same reduction.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hello Dr. Lou,

I used to have, and reload for it, a beautiful Mannlicher-Schoenauer GK in 7x46. Here in Argentina the 7x64 is as uncommon as in the USA. So unexpectedly I found 6 boxes of virgin Remington .280 Remington. You only have to run the .280 Rem, lubed, in the 7x64 die and you have a perfect 7x64 case but with a long neck you must trim, or better said, cut! I never had any trouble with the base diameter of the .280 Rem case neither in the 7x64 die or the 7x64 chamber of my rifle!

Good luck

PH

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
EekerA simple solution might be a .280 reamer. shockerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 900 SS
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ramrod340:
I've run 35Whelen brass into a 9.3x62. I just use the imperial(Hornady I believe) type lube. That is the basically the same reduction.

Should'nt that be the opposite? I have a roomy 35 and downsize 9,3 cases. My caselube says Unique on the box and its really good for this tight job.

Posts: 408 | Location: Bardu, Norway | Registered: 25 August 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the help! it's greatly appreciated.

Happy Thanksgiving

Lou

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
Should'nt that be the opposite? I have a roomy 35 and downsize 9,3 cases.

YOu are correct. For some reason I was thinking the head on the 62 case was the same as the 64 case. I also pulled the cases and they were actually Z-hat cylinder brass which I had shortened and just happens to have a 35Whelen headstamp. So ignore my post. It is what I get for not pulling my data and running from memory. homer

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bartsche:
EekerA simple solution might be a .280 reamer. shockerroger

Roger, that would make more sense if I didn't already have a Sako AV in 280 Rem.

Happy Thanksgiving beer