THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

180 or 200 grn Grand slams in my 30-06 ?
 Login/Join

<Albertahunter>
posted
I need to tap into the vast experience of the membership.I'm really curious about Grand slams for my -06.What kind of terminal perfomance can I expect?What can I expect in the accuracy dept?Now I've used noslers and don't really need someone to expound on their virtues.Please.I've had good experiences with 180 Hornys as well as some other brands but I suffer from the terminal need to tinker.Your input,good or bad will be greatly appreciated.

ABH

one of us
posted Hide Post
The june 1998 edition of handloader magazine contains a bullet test of .308" 180gr bullets.They also did a test using several weights of grand slams and there was no difference in penetration between 165,180 and 200gr .308" grand slams.It appears that all the 200 gr grand slams offer is more recoil and bullet drop but no real advantages.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think you will have a hard time getting the GS to shoot as well as your Hornadys do.

Performance wize, the 200 gr GS will penetrate a bit deeper than the 180 Hornady. IF, that is what you need.

Posts: 3994 | Location: Hudsonville MI USA | Registered: 08 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
I had a 180 GS explode on me on an elk. Granted, it was from a .300 mag at 3050fps!! I hit the spine at about 200 yds across a canyon, and all we could find was pin-head sized particles of lead. The animal died almost instantly, but I got a bad feeling from the experience and never used Grand Slams again. I stick with partitions.

bowhuntr [Wink]

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
<Albertahunter>
posted
Thanks for the input guys! I don't know why I would want to fix something that works as well as the Hornadys do.M.O.A. accurracy with moly coated 180 interlocks over 59 grns IMR 4831.I really want to chrono this load!

ABH [Big Grin]