Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

stoney point oal gauge
 Login/Join

posted
Is anyone familiar with this tool?I bought one and tried using it yesterday.Following the instructions i came up with 2.45 oal for my 22-250ackley imp.This seems to long!And this is after subtracting the .020-.040 amount that they recomend.If the bullet is snug in the rifleing have you pushed it to far?Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Posts: 2 | Location: montana | Registered: 12 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Depending on the bullet you're using, that length sounds about right. I'm shooting a 22-250 Rem and the OAL I'm using is 2.490. As long as the round chambers easily and the bullet sits snug in the shell, you should be fine. I use the Stoney Point OAL gauge and have had no problems with it. Don't jam the bullet into the lands when you use it though. Just push it up gently until it touches. I highly recommned buying a bullet comparator as well if you don't have one already. Without it, it's very difficult to get accurate a seating depth off the ogive. I'm waiting for my Sinclair comparator to come in now. Stoney Point sells these as well, but after looking at the Sinclair, I liked it better.

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Joe 3

I've been using the Stoney Point OAL gauge for about a year, on about 7 rifles. I clean the barrels beforehand and swab out the bore. I put the bullet in the modified shell about .25" short, insert the rod / shell / bullet assembly into the chamber until it stops, then loosen the brass screw holding the plastic follower rod and slowly push it forward until it stops. I don't use more than a pound or so of force- if the chamber and throat are clean the bullet stops fairly positively, with little "slop" or wiggle room. The bullet usually stays in the barrel, and raising the barrel and rapping it with the hand frequently shakes the bullet loose. On rifles with crisper lands, I have to gently tap the bullet loose with a cleaning rod inserted from the muzzle.

This procedure seems to generate pretty accurate results. If I mistakenly set the bullet out say .010" long, I can feel the bullet bite the lands when I close the bolt.

As for your .22-250 AI- I bought a used Rem.788 in .22-250 some years back and couldn't get it to shoot for beans. I used the Stoney Point gauge on it, and the plastic follower rod kept going, and going... I withdrew the rod and found the bullet stopped with its base .25" PAST the end of the neck! [Eek!] Borrowed a borescope and the throat erosion was well into the first inch of lands. Now I know why I got a "deal" on the gun, the barrel is totally shot out.

I hope this helps
Rosse

Posts: 48 | Location: SE PA, USA | Registered: 28 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I used my Stoney Point OAL gauge but, the split neck gauge used in conjunction with their comparetor is more accurate, don't leave the bullet in the bore and is way faster too. I use a fireformed neck sized case, but a FL sized case will work just as the Stoney Point does.

I've never subtracted anything from this measurement, the bullet will stop when it contacts the lands and finding where it shoots best in relation to that length is more methodical than just assigning an arbitrary number to it shorter than that.

Using the split case method I can get accuracy to the .001" real easy, often to the .0005". The split neck offers consistant pressure on the bullet if split to the bottom of the shoulder, the SP gauge has never been that accurate "for me". Reminds me, I need to check the throat errosion on my 300 Ultra, it's been a while.

-

Posts: 913 | Location: Palmer, Alaska | Registered: 15 June 2002Reply With Quote