New
Find
Notify
Tools

44mag, cast bullets, and H110
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just got back from the range after trying some loads for my .44mag using 300gr hard cast lead bullets and 19gr H110. Bullet impact was 10 inches high at 25yds. This is after setting the sights as low as they get.
I don't have access to a chronograph, but this seemed like a sign of very low velocities to me. Some one please correct me if I'm wrong, but wouldn't low velocities out of a 10" barrel cause impact to be high because the bullet would spend more time in the barrel, being more affected by muzzle rise?
Also, does anyone have any comments on the load I'm using? This is the maximum load I have listed, but recoil is lighter than with 240gr loads and it just doesn't seem like a full power load. I'd like to hear anyone's thought on this. Thanks
Andrew

Posts: 258 | Location: washington | Registered: 03 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Andrew, usually the heavier bullets impact higher. Some say it's bbl. time, some say heavier recoil, some both. I'll check my loading records when I get home, but I have used H110 & 300-340gr bullets in my 8" DanWesson w/ good vel. & accuracy.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Max loads I've seen with cast 300 gr are 21.5-22.5 depending on who's data you read.

Heavier bullets impact higher due to the increased torque from the heavier bullet causing the gun to rotate more.

You mention 10" barrel length, is it a revolver, or a contender? I've clocked a 4 5/8" revolver, 7 1/2" revolver and 10" contender all together using a 300 gr cast over 21 gr H-110, and as I recall the velocities were 1200, 1300 and 1400 fps respectively. I think your 19 gr load will be down about 100 fps or so from the above mentioned loads and speeds. Still, a 300 gr bullet @ 1200 fps is a decent load [Big Grin]

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Paul H. is on the money. My info shows:
20.5gr H110 / 310grLFP = 1360fps - 8" DanWesson
= 1290fps - 6 1/2" Ruger

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
sorry double post

posted Hide Post
My experience w/heavy 44 loads was the JDJones 320 cast in a 10" Super Blackhawk. 21.2 Gr 296, heavy crimp, WW cases. Accuracy was very good, recoil was stiff and did not have to use all the elevation. Your load is too light and you have too much barrel time. Start working up to heavier loads.

Careful of case weight, which of course reduces volume, can raise pressure depending upon seating depth.

Cheers

Don

Posts: 6 | Location: Henderson, Nevada | Registered: 26 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The elevated impact point isn't necessarily just from the barrel end being higher at the time the bullet exits. If the barrel's flipping upward, the bullet leaves the muzzle with the added vertical velocity of the tip of the barrel. That makes it rise higher over the time of the bullet flight.

The same thing happens, of course, with the harmonic vibrations of a rifle barrel. And to a lesser extent than with a pistol, recoil motions of the rifle move the barrel with the bullet still in it. If the barrel end's moving, the bullet's moving with it.

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Wow, thanks for all the info. I didn't expect so many responses so quick. I'll try some heavier powder charges and see what happens.

Paul H, the loads are for a 10" Contender. I forgot to mention that in the original post. Thanks again everyone!
Andrew

Posts: 258 | Location: washington | Registered: 03 August 2003Reply With Quote