New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any experience with Swift Scirocco?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been thinking about the Scirocco for my 270 and 300 win. Let me know your experience with these bullets. Accuracy. Terminal performance and such.

How does velocity stack up to other bullets?

Thanks a bunch.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Ackleyfan>
posted
Rodger, I use scirocco's in two of my custom rifles,300 win mag 180,280AI,150Gr.they are very accurate,3 shot, .5 groups in both rifles,I get 3,136 in my 300 and 3,025 in the 280AI,performance wise I have shot only two deer ,both with my 300 WM,a whitetail at 130 yds and the bullet was found in the off side shoulder and mushroomed to the size of a nickel,the other was a 250 pound muledeer in nevada at 480yds the bullet broke the front shoulder and kept going,It would have been nice to recover the bullet from this shot!! I think their one of the best bullets for deer size game but for elk and larger I think there are better choices! My 300 likes H1000 with the 180"s And be carefull when approaching max loads as the sciroccos do elevate pressures somewhat!! They will give nosler balistic tips a run for the money In accuracy and out do them in the holding together department!! ,Later Ackleyfan.

<Tigar>
posted
Roger,
If you haven't tried it yet, run a search here and in the big game hunting forum and you can find quite a bit of feedback/opinion on these over the last 6 months or so.

Also, John Barsness has an article on them in this month's Handloader magazine at: http://www.riflemagazine.com/magazine/article.cfm?tocid=716&id=54 Some of the answer depends on what you are planning on hunting (elk vs. deer etc.)

I definitely agree with Ackleyfan and others - they do seem to give you higher pressures; a warm load with Ballistic Tips suddenly turns hot with these.

I've taken a large muley and an elk with them. I didn't hit any bone on the elk to judge their toughness. On the broadside shot on the muley at 100 yds, the bullet gave about a 2" entrance and 2"+ exit hole. I would have to agree with most others - it may be great on elk on close broadside shots and at 250+yds, but I'd hate to rely on it to take a trophy bull in the shoulder up close.

I know - some guys preach about you must be incompetent if you can't place the shot well at close ranges. However, if you hunt public land for a mature bull you may not get tons of opporunities. If he is standing there 100 yds away angling toward you in a 5ft opening in the trees with his head behind a tree - that may be the only shot you get. He may be there for 5-10 seconds and then he is gone. Sure, place it well, but "well" in this case is likely into the near shoulder. You might also get a close range running shot - which I and many/most others have probably done at some time. It can be a high probablility, very lethal and ethical shot, but if the animal is always perfectly broadside to you and you can always hit exactly behind the shoulder on a fast running animal then more power to you. Personally, I'd like a little leeway on the placement and shot angle. I am not normally a shoulder shooter, but I'm also a realist. From what I know so far, I'd hate to rely on the scirocco for that type of shot.

I'll keep trying them some, but probably on deer and smaller game or longer range shots. Try them and see what accuracy you get too, your gun may not like them.

one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ACKLEYFAN:

Ackleyfan:

I retired out of Sacramento a few years back.

Posts: 631 | Location: North Dakota | Registered: 14 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Mo51>
posted
Roger, my experience with the Scirocco is limited to the .308/180 gr in a long-throated 300Win Mag so I could load to OAL=3.6". With this rifle 3 shots @ 100 yds ran avg .75" @ 3100 fps. I shot 2 deer with this load between 150-175 yds broadside. Both passthroughs, large wounds, immediately dropped. The main problem I see is the long-for-wt bullet length, so my long OAL worked well and preserved powder space. Overall seems to be a good bullet, but I think no better for the price than XLCs and other premium ones. I think its expansion is slower than the Ballistic Tips.

------------------
Mo

[This message has been edited by Mo51 (edited 03-31-2002).]

one of us
Picture of Mark in SC
posted Hide Post
RogerK, check out the thread "More opinions on the Scirocco" by Clint in the African Big Game Hunting forum.

------------------
NRA and GOA Life Member
Do your part to protect our 2nd Amendment rights and preserve our hunting heritage!

Posts: 692 | Location: South Carolina Lowcountry | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote