THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Can I use a (Lee)30-06 die to reload a 44mag. case?

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Can I use a (Lee)30-06 die to reload a 44mag. case?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was cruising the Lee web site and noticed that a 30-06 die can be used to reload a 44mag. Is this true? Is there anything special I need to know?

Thanks for sharing your knowledge on this site.

Greg

------------------
Join the NRA if you enjoy your American Freedom! www.nra.org

[This message has been edited by tundrarules (edited 12-27-2001).]

Posts: 130 | Location: Central U.S.A | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Multi Vis>
posted
Dont think so!!!!! I went to the Lee site to try to find what you saw and couldnt find it.
Are you sure you wasnt looking at the 44 spec. die set?:::::::Multi Vis

<Mr.16 gauge>
posted
I don't think so, either. The .44 mag is a rimmed cartridge, and the .30-06 is rimless. A .30-06 die MIGHT be used to size a .44 AUTO MAG (NOT the same thing as a .44 magnum!), since the auto mag case is made from cut down .308 brass, but even if that was the case, you would still need a bullet seating die.

------------------
If your dog thinks that you are the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!

one of us
posted Hide Post
A 44 special die set can be used to load the 44 mag, maybe that's where it came from. As for a .30-06 die set, no way.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for your replies. I didn't think so. I am still a bit confused about what the Lee site is saying. Here is the link that started my confusion. I see now that this was listed under the 44 special dies. It looks like it is listed beside the 30-06 dies on the site. Again thanks for taking the time to answer my question.

www.leeprecision.com/catalog/browse.cgi?1009153509.5820=rlpress2.html

------------------
Join the NRA if you enjoy your American Freedom! www.nra.org

[This message has been edited by tundrarules (edited 12-27-2001).]

Posts: 130 | Location: Central U.S.A | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Mr.16 gauge>
posted
They are two seperate columns: one is for rifle calibers, the other is for pistol cartridges. The .44 special die is the one that can be used for the .44 magnum, not the 30-06. If you read from side to side, the .270 die can be used for .357 magnum (not hardly!). But the way it is set up, with the big space between .44 special & .44 magnum, I can see the confusion.

------------------
If your dog thinks that you are the greatest, don't go seeking a second opinion!