New
Find
Notify
Tools

7STW velocities
 Login/Join

<vibrasonic9>
posted
I am wondering what would be considered realistic velocities from a 7STW w/26" barrel shooting 160 gr. partitions.

My friend is pretty well convinced he's getting 3500 fps out of his and it seems a little high to me.

Also, has anyone had eny experience with the Savage 116FSAK in 7STW?

Thanks,
Rod

one of us
posted Hide Post
How did he determine 3500 fps? Drive along beside the bullet and check it against his car speedometer? Interpolate from the percieved recoil? Determine the number by psychic divination during a peyote session?

Some "fast" 26" barrels will yield 3500 fps with a 140 grain bullet. 3200, at the outside 3300, is more realistic with a 160. Any loads producing greater velocities would require pressures beyond the design limits of the brass and action.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
<vibrasonic9>
posted
Well,I should have added this important factor to the equation:
My friend did tell me he was loading appr. 2 gr. over max. because that's where the rifle grouped. I love this guy to death and don't wanna go into telling him how to do his loading etc...but I don't wanna see him hurt either. I've not had a chance to personally look at his brass or eject a shell from the action of his gun and couldn't say one way or the other if he's experiencing any flattened primers etc...and I'm not altogether sure he knows to look for that. It's kinda touchy for me, I don't wanna come off the wrong way, but I don't want my buddy to blow his face off either.

one of us
posted Hide Post

[ 01-15-2003, 08:34: Message edited by: kraky ]

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Damn server!!!

[ 01-15-2003, 08:35: Message edited by: kraky ]

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even with a "fast" gun he should not be doing that speed. I'd have him compare his chrono with other known loads and see if the chrono is reading right. FWIW--I've heard some win factory ammo in this caliber has been really really fast.

<phurley>
posted
The question that begs to be answered is, "how is your friend convinced he is getting that speed". [Wink] Good shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two stw's.One will produce 3520 fps with 140gr bullets and the other about 3470fps with a 140gr bullet.To get 3500fps with a 160gr bullet the barrel must be very long and the pressures extremely high.The only way to tell actual velocity is with a chronograph.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let me know the load and I'll run it past "quickload".

[ 01-15-2003, 08:36: Message edited by: kraky ]

one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a 7mm stw with a 27" hart barrel. It would get 3550 fps over a chronograph with a 140 gr partition and a stiff load. I loaded it to 3400 fps for a mild load and felt much better about things. I would guess from my experiences that a 26" 7mm stw should give 3250 tops with a 160 gr bullet.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 7 STW will do 3200 fps with SOME 160 gr bullets and stiff loads. 3500 with 160's (if in fact he is getting those speeds) and a 26" barrel just scream over pressure. Chrony those loads and if thats what he's doing either talk him out of it, or stand way back when he fires. Good chance to practice your first aid though. - Dan

Posts: 5284 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<John Lewis>
posted
Uh, I've got a little bit of experience with this cartridge, I've shot between 50 and 60 different ones. He could be getting that velocity with about a 50 inch barrel, but I doubt it. Everybody else is right, around 3200 with fairly stiff loads.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with re-chonographing the loads, but the peyote method may difiantly have merit.

Saludos..Frank

Posts: 145 | Location: Katy, Tx | Registered: 06 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I shoot a 7mm Dakota (cap. are very close) from a fast 26"bbl #1 & can get right at 3300fps/160grNP w/ stiff loads on a warm day, 3200fps is easily obtained in my rifle. As far as his "0.2gr over max.", who's max.? If you look at (4) loading books, they will all have different max. loads because they are all shot in different rifles. Unless your friend is shooting over a chrono, he is just guessing? [Confused]

[ 01-16-2003, 06:28: Message edited by: fredj338 ]

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Zero Drift
posted Hide Post
fred - I also shoot a 7mm Dakota. The Dakota does have more usable case capacity over the STW. 75gr of H-4831sc nets about 3200fps in my 24" tube.

To get 3500fps with a 160gr bullet you would be looking at 84 to 86gr of RL-22 and pressure off the map. I doubt the chamber would survive.

Rod - Get your buddy's load data for us and we can tell you within 3% what his "actual" velocity would be. The point is, he is most likely safe with his hot load, just goofy with the performance estimates.

Even with a good peyote bud you cannot bend the laws of physics - it just looks that way with all the pretty colors and sounds. Ain�t reality a bitch?

Posts: 10780 | Location: Test Tube | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<ol crip>
posted
[Eek!] I have owned 8 STWs and the fastest one I ever chronyed with a 160 Sierra Sbt in a 24" tube was right at 3300 FPS. It was a tad warm. My Sendero w/26" tube will only yeild 3200 FPS SAFLEY. This dude should do some research on hot load injuries, they're not pleasant or pretty. If you love your friend like you say you do, then inform him about this forum and maybe print some replys for him. [Frown]

[ 01-16-2003, 09:12: Message edited by: ol crip ]

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Thanks ZeroD, I am using 73gr RL22 & Fed. mag. match primers. On a good day I can hold under 2" @ 300yds w/ the 160grNP. I took a Tahr in NZ (2) years ago & have taken elk & antelope. fortunately or unfortunately, my longest shot has been about 125yds. It's a great rig & w/o the belted case!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Oleman>
posted
I have had 2 STW's the fastest was 3400 fps with a 160 Gr. bullet over H5010 and 3550 fps with a 140 Gr. Nosler Bt over H1000. Very awesome performance on deer at 400 yards. Oh the gun has a Douglas premium 26" barrel in number 5 contour.

<toto>
posted
I have a STW built on a mauser action with a 27" barrel. I get an average of 3385fps with 160gr par. 150bt average 3453. fws