Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes TSX's and Blue Meanies (XLC's)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
Ok what results are you guys getting with these 2 types of X's? I am mostly interested in long range expansion and accuracy. Any info will be appreciated.

TIA

POP

My blog: Please Comment and Follow
https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Accuracy with the xlc was poor in both of my 300 ultramags in both 165gr and 180gr.The 180gr tsx is averaging 5/8" in both of my 300ultramags.

The link below shows the remains of a 180gr tsx that penetrated the spine of an elk.

http://www.powerandfury.com/images/tsx1.jpg

http://www.powerandfury.com/images/tsx2.jpg

The remaining weight was 160.4gr.The bullet was fired from a 300ultramag at 3380fps and the range was 200 yards.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
I got excellent results in the way of accuracy with both my 7mm RM & 160gr XLC, and 115gr XLC in the .25-06.

I took my first animal with the .25-06 & the 115gr XLC this last Sun. It was a little over 300 yards, uphill and slightly quartering away. Between the wind and my heartbeat ( pounding) it was a little aft of poa, the bullet did pass through the chest. It clipped rib, liver, diaphram, lung, rib, and out. Entry side was less than a 1/2" hole and exit was closer to an inch. I will use them again as they do shoot well, and the expansion was enough to do plenty of damage. I wish I had made a better shot, but it's bound to happen. Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Accuracy with the xlc was poor in both of my 300 ultramags in both 165gr and 180gr.The 180gr tsx is averaging 5/8" in both of my 300ultramags.

The link below shows the remains of a 180gr tsx that penetrated the spine of an elk.

http://www.powerandfury.com/images/tsx1.jpg

http://www.powerandfury.com/images/tsx2.jpg

The remaining weight was 160.4gr.The bullet was fired from a 300ultramag at 3380fps and the range was 200 yards.

what are your loads and velocities please?

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two 300ultramags using two very different loads.One uses 88gr of r-25 and produces 3360fps while the other uses 93 gr of r-25 to produce 3380fps.One is a shorter throated pac-nor barrel and the other a much longer throated gaillard barrel.I am using a different lot# of powder in each.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Accuracy with the 210 XLC's was good out of my 338/378. However I switched to 210 gr. Scirroco's and never looked back. Haven't tried the TSX's yet, but I may in the future just for the hell of it.

Posts: 852 | Location: Austin | Registered: 24 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Old Cane
posted Hide Post
I'm trying both in my 30-06 and the TSX in my 25-06. All rounds regardless of caliber or bullet type are going intot he same 2" hole. Now this is with differing loads of up to 5 grains different for each caliber/bullet combination so I am well poleased with the accuracy. The velocity however is close to 250 fps less than my calculated (not published) velocity for each rifle. Either it's my chrono, I'm losing pressure or they are way off in the Barnes manual or a little of each.

Posts: 151 | Location: Murfreesboro, TN | Registered: 25 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kingfisher:
Accuracy with the 210 XLC's was good out of my 338/378. However I switched to 210 gr. Scirroco's and never looked back. Haven't tried the TSX's yet, but I may in the future just for the hell of it.

Tried the Scirocco's out of a 300 RUM and hated the "pancake" effect I got on antelope even at 300+ yards. Would not trust them on an alk at closer range.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
In my 270 Win, the 130gr XLC shoot very well, better than the 130gr TSX (I am still playing with the TSX though). In my 30-06, the TSX, in 168 and 180grs, shoot best. In some friends 300wsm, 300 Win and 300 Wthrby, the XLC di not shoot good at all, but the TSX are shooting great. On game (elk) performance appears the same.

Posts: 620 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've mamaged to get X's to shoot in half dozen guns The accuracy usaully wasn't much more than 'minute
of deer' but the terminal performance was nothing short of awsome...17 one shot, go-nowhere kills.
Then I tried TSX's. Wow! subminute groups in my 7/08 AND the same terminal performance.

Posts: 168 | Location: No. Minnesota | Registered: 10 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have tried a wide variety of X bullets (including 225 grain TSX's in 3 different .338's) in a dozen or more guns without success. Just couldn't get them to shoot under 1 MOA with any consistancy.

Recently I tried 140 XLC's in my .264 Win. Mag. Wow! Quarter inch to half inch 5 shot groups at 100 yards were automatic. Took the gun and load on my latest trip to Africa. Hunted mountain zebra, black wildebeest, red hartebeest, gemsbok, warthog, and baboon. Complete penetration and devastating terminal performance was the result. Only bullet recovered was a frontal chest shot on the hartebeest. The bullet was recovered inside the skin of the hindquarter. I was impressed.

I will continue to experiment with X loads in my other guns.

Posts: 224 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 13 August 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Have tried the 165,168, and 180's in all of the X configurations. According to Barnes there is no profile/expansion difference between the similar configurations (for example, 180 boat tails have same nose and therefore same expansion). Barnes either coats them, puts rings in them, or leaves them alone. The real difference will be in velocity and accuracy. Most report that the TSX's group the best, but they are about the same as XLC's in my rifle. Some will say that velocities are the same between the TSX and XLC, but more will say that you get better velocity with the XLC's and I have found this to be true. Almost all say that the X's will not give the same accuracy and/or velocity as the other two, and I have also found this to be true. I have settled on the 180XLC for Elk in my 30Gibbs. I am @ 2950fps w/RL22 and some say I could get 3000fps with MRP, but I can't find this powder in the Denver area. The XLC's give me 1.25moa or better and that is plenty precise for Elk. I killed two Elk with this load last year and was very happy with the terminal performance with one dropping where I hit it in the shoulders, the other within 40yrds after hitting it in the lungs. Both were passthroughs with 1.5"+ exit holes, plenty of blood/lung on the gound, but no blood trail needed.

Deke.

Posts: 691 | Location: Somewhere in Idaho | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Who shoots the 168 TSX in the 300 RUM? What is accuracy/velocity like and with what loads?

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by POP:
Who shoots the 168 TSX in the 300 RUM? What is accuracy/velocity like and with what loads?

This is my next project. I've shot them with acceptable accuracy but have not "developed" a load as of yet that meets my goal.

Powders I'm trying are WC872, Retumbo, Re25, H1000, and H4831SC.

I do have a hunting friend that has already completed his development using Re25/168 TSX and is getting some of the best groups we've seen. He shot three 0.350 groups. Federal brass, Federal Gold Medal primers, necks turned, PacNor bbl.

He cleans bore with Montana Extreme 50BMG and uses their bore conditioner. Seems to be the right combo.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
What is his load and velocity?

one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
I'm not 100% but if I recall, it is 96.5 grains and velocity is 3420. He's still out west hunting so I'll send an email for confirmation.

I believe his bbl is also 28".

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
I had excellent accuracy with the 100 gr XLC in my 25 06, never killed with it though.

I had decent accuracy with 160 gr XLC in my 7mm Rem Mag and killed a moose with it. I couldnt quite get the load under an inch@100 but it was moving over 3100fps. Lethal.

Loaded this same bullet for a friend's 7mag and he nailed a moose with it this year. I died 30 yards later. Shot was 200 yards about. I only had his moving 2900 fps but was getting sub MOA with it.

I've just worked up a load for my friend's 6.5/06 AI with 120 gr TSX. We are getting 3200 fps and way under MOA when I'm shooting it. He's still getting under a inch. I'm positive that this will drop them quickly. We will know next week when he joins me at the cabin for our annual rut hunt for muleys. thumb

-------------------------------
Too many people........

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
I'm not 100% but if I recall, it is 96.5 grains and velocity is 3420. He's still out west hunting so I'll send an email for confirmation.

I believe his bbl is also 28".

Thanx will try this and retumbo