Find
Notify
Tools

RL 25 in a25-06?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of POP
posted
Specifically interested in 100 gr bullets. Anyone?

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My initial reaction was to say start with a published load of 7828 and work up from there. I did check against quickload and it says a max load of 7828 would be 59.7--it said that a max load of re25 would be 61.7 so my theory was pretty darn correct. Please check these against load manual and use a chrono. BTW--at 61.7 you will have a darn full case of powder. I read a post a year or so back where a guy was experimenting with RE25 in a 25-06. ONce he got close to max his velocity skyrocketed with the last "one grain" addition to the load. I think he was within 2 grains of a 7828 load when that happened. Some people seem to think RE 25 has been real consistant but my workings with it have not been so. I believe there is pretty good lot to lot differences. Your mileage may vary.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of vapodog
posted Hide Post
My manual lists it only for the 120 grain bullet but lists RL22 for the 100 grain.........

If you wish to experiment with a "supercompressed" load you can mess around with it....I haven't but the idea sure sounds good to me. Work up slowly.....you can even use a brass rod to compress the powder.

Posts: 28849 | Location: western Nebraska | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Pop

I have never loaded or for that matter even shot a 25-06. I have played with RL-25 in half a dozen cartridges.
My experience with RL-25 with light or mid weight for calibre bullets is that velocity variation can get a little wild. That is not to say accuracy goes away but it is something to be aware of.
You should be able to reach max pressure with 3 or so more grains than 7828 but as KRAKY said lot to lot differences can be dramatic!
Be careful...Once RL-25 gets "on the pipe" it can take off like a rocket!

Jamie

Posts: 322 | Location: B.C. Canada | Registered: 31 March 2003Reply With Quote